• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

software sims: scrpits for repeated actions?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using software sims to guide students step by step/click by click thru an activity. every clickbox needs to do the same thing:on success, it just goes to the next slide. on failure it pops the failure box, until the last attmpt where it shows a prev. hidden highlight box over the click box (effectivly highlighting where they should click) and conts with the activity so they can click the now highlighted clickbox and go to the next slide.

i can script this easily via advanced options, but wanted a smarter way to do it (i assume it'll involve variables) where i dont have to re-make essentially the same advanced action script for everyslide. the clickbox and highlight box names change each slide and you cant have dupes, so each adv optns scrpt must be hard coded to each highlight and clickbox manually. there can easily be 20+ slides per sim, and i have a long list of sims i need to make, so any speeding up in the process could save me litteral days and also a lot of headache.

advanced options or javascrpt are both okay (or anthor, cooler, secreter scrpit optn as well)

---

i think an easy fix would be if i was allowed to set the click/higlight box names to end with some var i'd just i++ in the scrpit but that doesnt seem to be possible

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never knew it is so difficult to read a question when a sentence is not starting with a capital character. Sorry for that remark.

Why not use a shared action in combination with a multistate object? It would not be possible if you are talking about a responsive project with Fluid Boxes. Too bad you didn't specify that, nor the version of Captivate you are using. How many attempts do you use? Is that number the same for all slides?

Have a look at the workflow in this post, you just need to add the Show command for the Highlight box, which will be another parameter:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/automatic-hint-after-x-failed-clicks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the no caps.

I'm using Captivate 2019 (64 bit). I've been using the built in click boxes that auto populate upon clicking while recording a software sim. I set the clickbox to 2 attempts, and on last attempt it exactues the advanced option

• change state of higlight_box_1 to stateVis (the box starts a state with 0 opacity, state view is colored green with 40% opactiy)
  • pause
  • show click_box_1

A new Adv Act must be made for each slide, with highlight_2 and so on. I know this is terribly ineffcannt but that's the only way I was show how to. the number of the click\highlight matches the slide number. Everything is default lol. Thanks for any pointerrs I'm so new I'm having trouble knowing what to google.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read my answer? I used caps. 

You need to give the full version number as you find under Help, About Captivate. Under the common name CP2019 there have been 3 main releases and several patch releases.

First of all: you cannot use the Last Attempt action if you want to have another attempt after showing the Highlight box.

You would need a SHARED ACTION instead of duplicate advanced actions. Since you want to do this on the Last Attempt event, you need more than what you just mentioned, since you would show also a new interactive object to allow another attempt after the appearance of the highlight box. I would propose to use a shape, converted to a button, which you give the look of the highlight box by setting up the stroke color/width and the fill color to Alpha=0. Hide that shape button with the On Enter action, and show it with the Last attempt shared action. The Failure shape (probably not a caption) will show up automaticall, the Last Attempt action would be limited to:

Show Shape button      where the shape button has 'Go to Next Slide'

That is a simple solution, no need for any advanced action. Don't forget to deactivate the 'Continue... 'option for the action.

However here are some other questions: 

1.  Repeating from first answer: is this a responsive project with Fluid boxes or not? The workflow I just described will not be possible in a Fluid Boxes project, you cannot stack objects in the same location (here the click box and the shape button).
  2.  Is the is a scored assessment or just a training sim? 

There is a difference between the Pause command and the pausing point of a Click box. Hope you are aware of that? Have a look at:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/pausing-captivates-timeline

A real good basic training is what you need. Trying to use advanced or shared actions without knowing the basics of Captivate... tricky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vers 11.8.0.586
not fluid box
the activity is scored
will take ur idea of using a button over the highlight box, i was just worried it would affect the scoring

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You want the activity to be scored? Do you also allow scoring when the learner clicks after the appearance of the 'Highlight'? Because that would be a big problem. The Click box is scored by default in a software sim assessment. But since you allow only two attempts, the attempt after show the Highlight should be on the shape button. You can score that button as well, but that would mean that the total score would double. You can always check the total score in the Advanced Interaction panel (F9).

https://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-interaction-panel-q-and-a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources