• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Software Simulation training instructions with the clickbox

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am using Adobe Captivate Software simulation and had a question about the instructions that come up for the training. The instructions (Click here, etc...) only come up when the user hovers over the click box. Is there a way to make the instruction appear on the slide regardless of where the user's mouse is?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Understood. Then you'll need another approach, since you cannot use the rollover event. 

Do you want the Hint to appear immediately, or after some time? You will need to take out the Hint caption or shape. Create a text container which you make invisible in output, and which has the hint text.  You can also add a highlight box which is hidden in output and surrounds the click box. Group both hint text and highlight box. Use the On Enter event to trigger an advanced action:

Delay Next actions

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Do you allow multiple attempts? If you use a shape as Failure 'caption' you can add an arrow to the Failure message, just checked it out as you can see in this screenshot:

ArrowFailure.PNG

It is a Failure shape in a Software simulation, Assessment mode. Tested also with Preview HTML in Browser, the arrow will appear. That is the easiest solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Please, for the sake of other users, mark one or multiple answers to be correct. At this moment it looks like you didn't get any answer to your questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You point at the Hint captions in the Training mode? I could suggest a 'cheat'. I always replace captions by shapes (Preferences, Recording, Modes). You can make the shape as big as you want (covering the slide) and use the aligment options for the text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lilybiri,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I am referring to the Hint captions. I want them to be visibile on the slide regardless of where the user's mouse is. Right now, they only fade in when the user hovers over the clickbox area, which is generally pretty small. When I go to preferences, it looks like I am in demonstration mode and then I click the "Use smart Shapes instead of captions box." Is this what you are referring to? It looks like the hint captions still don't appear on the slides.

Thanks again for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I see what you are talking about now. I went into training simulation under preferences and checked add text captions and use smart shapes... I recorded something and now a hint text box appears. Is there a way I can edit my existing software simulations to include this, rather than re-doing all of them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you increase the size of the shape so that it covers the complete slide?  If the shapes have a non overridden object style Shape Hint, you can use the hamburger menu to apply the size change to all the shapes with the same style. It should also be possible with text captions, but I find them less flexible to changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean increase the size of the clickbox? I would like to keep the size as is, just want to show the hint caption if possible...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. Then you'll need another approach, since you cannot use the rollover event. 

Do you want the Hint to appear immediately, or after some time? You will need to take out the Hint caption or shape. Create a text container which you make invisible in output, and which has the hint text.  You can also add a highlight box which is hidden in output and surrounds the click box. Group both hint text and highlight box. Use the On Enter event to trigger an advanced action:

Delay Next actions by.... x seconds                    where you give the delay time

Show Group

Another solution is to add a shape button , covering the slide, with alpha and stroke= 0. Add the hint text to the rollover state of that shape. Beware: that big shape needs to be under the present click box and have 'No action' as triggered Success action. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. For now, I just deleted the hint caption and applied a normal text caption with the hint text. One more question. How can I make an object, an arrow for example, appear with the Failure text? So, if the user mis-clicks, an arrow will appear with the failure text pointing the user where to click.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention my workflow for instructions in a software sim. Recently, for testing Captivate developers, one of the parts was an Assessment simulation. I inserted a slide with clear instructions before one workflow to be done. But I also created a button to move in/out a summary of those instructions on each slide. That allowed them to re-read the instructions if wanted.

For your last question: is it the default Failure caption? In that case use an advanced action. If it is a custom failure message, add the arrow to the Normal state of the message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is the default faliure caption that was created when I recorded the software siomulation. It reads something like "Incorrect, please select the correct callout." I would like to add an arrow with the failure caption that points to the correct callout, should the user mis-click and the failure caption appear. 

Got it. Where can I find the advanced action settings or how to I add the arrow to the failure caption? I am not seeing the options by right-clicking or under Properties.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you allow multiple attempts? If you use a shape as Failure 'caption' you can add an arrow to the Failure message, just checked it out as you can see in this screenshot:

ArrowFailure.PNG

It is a Failure shape in a Software simulation, Assessment mode. Tested also with Preview HTML in Browser, the arrow will appear. That is the easiest solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked. You have been extremely helpful, thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please, for the sake of other users, mark one or multiple answers to be correct. At this moment it looks like you didn't get any answer to your questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources