• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

State View Content Missing/Not Editable

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, a weird thing I've encountered 2 or 3 times in the past couple of years, and just versioned back to work around. But I think it's worth asking if anybody has seen this or if there is something I am doing that is causing this. 
So it's content that is viewable within the state view, and works fine in general. But every so often, only some of the content is subsequently editable....so stuff appears on the stage, fine, but if I go to state view for the object, I see only part of the content on stage, but can see all of it in the state view. Example below to illustrate. So the 3 boxes appear on stage at  the right time, but I can't edit two of the three. 
Any help would be appreciated or I'll just need to roll back or recreate the object again. 

Annotation 2021-05-18 151310.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

But you have multiple objects. Why not make each of the text objects a multistate object? How did you add the extra objects to start with in the Normal state?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mostly I see that it is 'complex' because users hop in without any training nor viewing tutorials. Personally the mutlistate objects are one of the best features added to Captivate since they introduced the wonderful shapes. I published a lot about mutlistate object use. Here is one link:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/about-state-commands-and-a-progress-bar

Votes

Translate

Translate

I don't make conclusions, but since I didn't get the answer I was looking for: 'how did you add the extra objects to the Normal state?' it seemed that multistate objects are bit misunderstood. Did you answer that question? It looks like you created a group of objects and want to use the group as multistate object, which is not possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's fake patient data by the way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this a weird issue. Why do you use a multistate object with only one state? I have no idea how you can have multiple objects in a state of a multistate object, unless you added them in a particular state. This is not an interactive object, I presume? What was your goal for this workflow, maybe I could understand better. Since a couple of days I have looked at this question but didn't answer. Since no one else answered, I feel compelled to ask more explanations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I know this doesn't have a second state yet. But when I came back to duplicate the state, I couldn't edit all parts of it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still didn't explain why you want to do this? What is the goal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I wanted to have different text appear in the different states of the object. I've done it before and it worked fine. It's not something I do that often, so I can't figure out if there is some weird bug or my weird workflow is throwing up objects that appear on stage, and then in state view, I can seem them on the filmstrip view of the state, but not on the state view 'stage' to edit. I think it may be a bug, because I can do initial edits when I go into state view, but for some reason after saves etc only parts of the state view bits are edictable, but it's still viewable on the main stage, which is kind of weird and frustrating! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you have multiple objects. Why not make each of the text objects a multistate object? How did you add the extra objects to start with in the Normal state?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe your first question contains the solution. 
The second question "How did you add the extra objects to start with in the Normal state?" I need to see if I can replicate it. I am maybe doing something consistently (though infrequently) wrong I guess if I am just quickly trying to get stuff down. It still doesn't answer the question why objects a viewable but not editable. 
But thanks, I think I need to be more consistent in my workflow and not assume that I should be able to edit every bit of every object I create. Weird, but hey ho. This is Captivate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mean Captivate is buggy, but it's complex. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mostly I see that it is 'complex' because users hop in without any training nor viewing tutorials. Personally the mutlistate objects are one of the best features added to Captivate since they introduced the wonderful shapes. I published a lot about mutlistate object use. Here is one link:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/about-state-commands-and-a-progress-bar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had some training viewed tutorials etc I agree multistate objects are great and I usually have no problems. I'm sorry that you don't like that I stumbled across this weird issue, asked if anybody had any insight and you decided to generalise about my competence. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't make conclusions, but since I didn't get the answer I was looking for: 'how did you add the extra objects to the Normal state?' it seemed that multistate objects are bit misunderstood. Did you answer that question? It looks like you created a group of objects and want to use the group as multistate object, which is not possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried to answer it ""How did you add the extra objects to start with in the Normal state?" I need to see if I can replicate it. I am maybe doing something consistently (though infrequently) wrong I guess if I am just quickly trying to get stuff down. " You're clearly not very patient with people who maybe are not at your level of expertise. I would just close this thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources