• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stuck on Loading... screen -- Forever

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a number of SCORM 1.2 courses published from Captivate 5 that are getting stuck on the grey Loading.. screen.

What is odd about this is that the course launches fine on initial launch.

If you then close after a couple of pages and relaunch, bookmarking works fine; it opens to the correct page.

If you complete the course and close, The content is marked as completed in the LMS.

IF you then relaunch, it takes you to the final page, which has a button to allow you to retake. That button works correctly and navigates to page 1.

If you then navigate a few pages in, close the course and attempt to relaunch, it always hangs at the Loading... page.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Michael

TOPICS
Editing , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 115 Replies 115
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dianellys

Re: your question about the differences between SCORM 1.2 and 2004, check this link: http://scorm.com/scorm-explained/business-of-scorm/scorm-versions/

It's not as simple as you (or anybody else) would like.

Your specific LMS will likely implement SCORM according to it's own rules.  So a course that works perfectly in one LMS might not do so in another even though both are supposedly SCORM-compliant.  I generally recommend anyone with this dilemma test their course in SCORM Cloud as the people behind this product (Rustici Software) are usually acknowledged to be the best authority on SCORM compliance.  They actually make the SCORM player software that many LMSs use.  So if your LMS is using their player, you don't usually have to worry about it NOT being compliant.  But if the LMS rolled their own player...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2012 Mar 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a critical launch of a project delayed by this issue. Adobe is not forthcoming with this hotfix. Would anyone be willing to share it with me or post it somewhere?

joetheyeti@earthlink.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2012 Mar 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind. I got it from Adobe. I do think it should be posted somewhere though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get the hotfix, send an email to Jayashree Pandeya: jpandeya AT adobe DOT com. It may take him a day or two to respond. The hotfix he sent me seems to have fixed the loading issue, although I've only tested it on a few courses with a few users. My setup is Captivate 5.5, Taleo/Learn.com, SCORM 1.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd have to agree with others here that if there IS a fix or patch for this issue then Jayashree or Adobe..it doesn't matter who..but someone needs to put up a blog post with a download link so that everyone can use it.  It makes no sense that we need to beg for something like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are working on doing a blog post on this issue.

-Jayashree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JP thanks for the update of a pending blog post.  If you are in the meantime able to send a fix or even a test fix that I can try out please let me know.  Everyone else thanks for the replies.

Lecutas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me your email id pls.

-Jayashree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jayashree

My email address is joedey@blueyonder.co.uk

Regards

Joe (Lecutas)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this start happening for us recently as well.  Seems to be intermittent so I'm not sure what steps learners are taking.  I've only had 2 reports from learners, and I've had it happen to myself (start activity, exit, go back, stuck on loading screen).  But 3 reports from 50'ish learners... 

We're about to roll out to a much larger audience so the aforementioned fix being published would be nice, sooner rather than later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI I've run into this to using GeoLearning 5.0.  What I ended up doing was:

1. In the LMS customization settings: Check  the box: Never Send Resume Data. (Captivate Edit - Preferences - Reporting - ...)

2. On your last slide - place a button that will link the learner to the first slide, something like "Restart".

When they retake the course it will automatically direct them to the last slide visited, if they completed the course previously this would be the last slide.  They then click the restart button to access slide 1.

Kind of kludgie I admit, but it works.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Initially my group had run into the loading issue where the Captivate file would only load to a certain percent than stop. Once the fix was applied, we no longer had this issue.

We are now experiencing another issue, however. Whenever our users are attempting to complete the course, they are receiving a "time out" message that closes the Captivate course window. This continues to occur every time they try to complete the course.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Any solutions to this?

Thanks,

Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2012 May 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your SCORM settings to see if there is something set for the timeout.

SCORM_TimeLimit.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod. I checked that and none of those options are checked off for our project.

Is there anything else that might cause this time out to occur?

-Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe somewhere in your LMS settings this course is configured to have a time limit.  Have you checked this on the LMS side?

If not, perhaps your LMS requires that the course is allocated a given time to complete, so you may NEED to set the options for time allowed, etc, in SCORM settings.  I'm shooting a bit in the dark here because I cannot remember ever seeing this type of error (SCORMs being closed down due to timeout) unless there was a time limit set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that you could try as well is to use Philips rewamped SCORM templates for Adobe Captivate provided that you are using Captivate 5.5. These SCORM templates are much more efficient than the default (error filled) Adobe Captivate Templates, so this might help you with the timeout issue.

You can get the rewamped templates here; https://github.com/pipwerks/Captivate-Publishing-Templates-Redux

www.cpguru.com - Adobe Captivate Widgets, Tutorials, Tips and Tricks and much more..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Captivate fix in place, we are still seeing the same loading freeze issue. It does not have an effect on all users, but some users are still running into this issue.

Has anyone else been experiencing this even though they have applied the fix to the project?

Thanks,

Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sara,

For me, the version 5 hotfix did not seem to fix the loading issue when publishing SCORM 1.2 material.

still.......  loading........ forever.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hotfix does NOT work. This is a major issue that needs to be addressed. Loading, loading, loading is all our users can see via the SumTotal LMS we are running. I'm up to about 10 version now on the LMS just to try and test out all possible sceanrios wtih the SCORM settings. Adobe should be emabarrassed that they cannot clean up their code so this issue doesn't continue. So deflating to put so much work into a module only to have to spend HOURS trying to appease users who cannot get the module to load via the LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

I feel your pain.

Couple of questions:

1.In Captivate did you:

Set the manifest to 'Never send Resume data?' (Check box next "clicked")

2. In the LMS course settings:

Set "Upon relaunch, subsequent attempts..." to NO.

That's all I had to do to fix this issue using Captivate 5.5. Don't

recall where I heard this, buried in some forum someplace, probable Adobe

community of support - so I cannot take credit for it, but it works

reliably for me.

I agree Adobe should be ashamed, but in Adobe talk .0 version = beta.

(Maybe anything less than .8 version = beta!!)

Good luck, if all else fails - swear LOUDER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each LMS is slightly different in how it interprets the SCORM standard, and Resume Data bookmarking is not consistently supported across the entire LMS industry.

Last time I communicated with Jayashree about this issue she indicated that there were still some possible scenarios where the hotfix would not resolve the endless loading bug.  But she was still interested in looking at any information people could send about these scenarios.  So, I recommend you send her a private message on this forum and offer to send details of your particular issue.

Your other choice is to download the trial for Cp6 and test the new Rustici SCORM driver it is now using.  Rustici make the SCORM players used in many high-end LMSs.  So your chances of getting Resume Data Bookmarking to work are now markedly improved with Cp6.  If you're going to waste any more than a day on this issue, the upgrade price for Cp6 is looking pretty reasonable (not to mention all the other goodies you get with this latest release).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I entirely agree!  While the hotfix for Captibate 5.5 seemed to work for me it clearly has not worked for all.  ADOBE should be ashamed of themselves for marketing their product as SCORM compliant when so many issues with SCORM  are in the wild.  It is not good enough to say just turn off 'send resume data'.  It should work regardless.  The problem as it exists renders the entire program useless for many people and a complete waste of money.  This is a shame because when it works it works well.  I do not recommend upgrading to version 6.  The modest updates do not justify the price and in any event those updates are so modest they should have been included as an update in version 5.5.  I have have not seen a single released update for Captivate version 5.5, instead when I click on search for updates, each and every time I get the message along the lines "The update server is down".  I would need to be a fool to believe that message. 

I downloaded the trial version of Captivate 6 and tested some of the updates.  Many of them do not work or are so confusing and unintitive in terms of configuring them as to make them useless; the program runs pitifully slowly and requires enormous amounts of system resources.  I am using a new laptop with 8Gb of RAM and it ran sow slowly it was panful.  I saw nothing to justify the upgrade price and I will not be buying another ADOBE product ever again, they are just not worth the hassle.

Lecutas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trouble is that much of the SCORM standards *where they refer to the

functionality of the LMS *are open to interpretation, and many things are

optional, rather than required. So lots of LMSs have differing

interpretations of the standards. Vendors like Adobe have to constantly

build in workarounds for the vagaries of the various LMSs.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve you answered while I was typing my novel here ;o)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dSee to marked = win ;-D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources