Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SVG has unexpected effect

Participant ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 9 with all updates.

Strange finding here. I have a custom nav bar I made. Three buttons with a gray background which is an SVG. The gray background is the object causing a problem. The background does a quick, what appears to be, fade in on each slide. There is no fade on this object. There is no effect turned or applied on this object. However, the gray bg svg object does display an inactive "Effect Duration" for .1 seconds. This is the only thing I can think of that is causing the problem. Since it is inactive, I cannot change it to '0'.

Any advice?

fadeinobject.jpg

timeline.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check under the Timing panel, is there a 'Fade In and Out' option applied to this object, perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. First think I checked. Only happens when i publish to html5. SWF is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SVG has to be 'evaluated' (don't think that is the correct term, but hope you understand). I did see weird effects like that. What happens if you postpone the entry a little bit?

Is there any reason why it has to be SVG, I don't think there is a lot of difference in file size with a grey rectangular shape. Personally I would never use a SVG for such an item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having issues as well with SVGs. Whether I'm in preview mode or published the course into the LMS, the SVG files in that project either disappear (and appears again) or switch places with each other. For example, is one SVG is a tree and another a ball, the ball suddenly appears where the tree should have been. And they are not on the same slide. Super weird!

Do you (or anyone else) know why SVG acts like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remember it correctly, it was an issue with Captivate 9 but now it's fixed in Cp2107. You may download a trial to test it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have version 2017, license. What can be the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, i just tried it and it SVG still blinks on next slide in Cp2017. Earlier I was using the SVG for rest of the project and it was not showing this behavior. I would suggest not to use SVG till it's fixed. You may report this to Adobe.

www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a problem for me also. Some times on a slide with a SVG a different SVG shows up. Some times the SVG does not show up at all. I just upgraded to 2019 and it is a little better but not perfect. There is definitely a bug in captivate when woirking with SVGs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I would stay away from SVGs in Captivate. Our team has attempted to use SVG with v9 and v10 (2017) with varying degrees of success and failure, unfortunately mostly failure. We found that if more than one SVG is used per slide, SVG display becomes erratic and unpredictable with similar issues described by richards68233534​​. I submitted a bug report a year ago. This article suggests saving SVGs with CSS properties set to 'Presentation Attributes', but it didn't fix the problem for us. After battling with the bug for a long time we have given up and have reverted to using PNGs, which is disappointing as we use SVGs heavily for other aspects of our design work. Perhaps if any of the Captivate product team are reading these posts, I could ask that they prioritise some bug fixing in Captivate for the next point release rather than attempting to add another 'big feature'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with this.  I attended a captivate course and was strongly encouraged to use SVGs.  Its a nightmare!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had good success with svg when converting technical type drawing content from Illustrator for training technical engineers and services staff in automotive and recreational product industries.. For typical pixel based artwork like buttons I would use native png in my captivate work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of 2021 (and version 11.5.553) this problem still persists. I tried using an (SVG) icon, use as button, change up the over and down states. But when I Preview -> In HTML5 Browser, the SVG blinks completely out of existance before showing the correct state (over = 50% opacity, down = dark red)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flickering between states is very annoying with SVGs, please log (again) a bug report as I have done since multiple versions. It doesn't look to be a complicated SVG, mostly they suffer less.

Here is a direct link to the bug report:

Adobe Captivate: 1 (allegiancetech.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe that is the nature of the beast since it has to be drawn with code, they are not cached images. Same thing used to happen when the internet was slower with most buttons that has a different image for a state. Used to create one image with all of the states and move the image under a div with the overflow hidden to get around this, the same as sprite sheets for icons.

If you are not using a scalable project just use png's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources