• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tab and Shift-Tab in Captivate 2019

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I'm struggling with a problem with keyboard accessibility. I'm publishing the project as html5. There are several smartforms used as buttons that I can focus with the tab key on my slide. When i'm on the last smartform the shift-tab should bring me to the smartform before last. But focus jumps out of the slide to focus buttons in the browser (in my case it's Firefox or Chrome).

This last smartform is faded out two seconds bofore the slide ends. Can this be the cause for this strange behaviour?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

That is the only setting of that type.

Your issue may be that you are using Shift + Tab and not just the Tab key.

You may need to provide another way for the learner to reach the next slide, e.g. a Next button for that purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be simple to test whether that is the issue.  Just remove the fade out and retest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for the quick response.

I tested it when the smartform is shown until the end of the slide, but there is no difference. When on the last smartform of the slide the shift-tab activates a button in the browser window, the tab key will jump to the first object in the tab order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it's certainly a bug in Captivate!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if it is a bug in Captivate or just something wrong with your setup.

What do you mean by a 'smartform'?  Are you referring to a Text-Entry Box object in Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RodWard  In non-English versions 'form' stands for Shape.  When they translate this is what appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri is right. It is a form (I've got the german version of Captivate and didn't know the english name). In my case there are several rectangles, that are used as buttons.

In the settings I checked something like 'keybord tabulator restricted to slide elements' in 'File' - 'Project-informations' - 'Category - Project - Settings for Publishing' (I think that should restrict the tab-Key to the slide). Perhaps there's a similar setting for the shift-tab-Key, that I didn't found yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the only setting of that type.

Your issue may be that you are using Shift + Tab and not just the Tab key.

You may need to provide another way for the learner to reach the next slide, e.g. a Next button for that purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

I'm facing the same issue. When the Restrict keyboard tabbing to slide items only is selected:

I'm unable to go back to the previous button using SHIFT + TAB (happens only on the last button). Example, I have a NEXT button, which is the last button on the slide and the tab order. If I press SHIFT + TAB, it does not goto the previous button. Instead it jumps out of the slide window and appears on the browser.

This is the not the case when Restrict keyboard tabbing to slide items only is deselected. Although, I would like to to enable the Restrict keyboard tabbing to slide items only for accessibility, I have to leave this option unchecked due to this issue. Any fixes? I would great appreciate your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using any kind of Captivate playbar or Table of Contents with this project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am very late to this conversation but I was experiencing a similar issue and wanted to share what I did in case it is helpful. I had the same settings and Shift+Tab worked well for everything but the last button. I have a custom screen with 4 questions and a True and False button for each question.  Once they click either the True or False button, it displays feedback.  If people tabbed to the last button (Question 4/False) and tried to use Shift+Tab to return to the previous button (Question 4/True), they were brought to the browser objects and were then tabbing through those browser objects as described above.  I also had this happen if they clicked the last button. After the Advanced Action attached to the button hid the button and displayed the feedback, when the student tried to use Tab to continue forward to the custom navigation buttons they were instead brought to the browser objects.  I added a transparent button and placed it in the tab order after my last actual button. In this way, if people got to the last button (Question 4/False) and used Shift+Tab to move backwards, it worked.  It does mean for our users, if they continued to tab forward after this, there would be an extra tab stop at the transparent button but since people would not visually see that button, they would be unlikely to press Shift+Tab when that button was active. Most people just hit Tab again to continue to move forward. I also added some Alt Text to the button to tell people using screen readers to just hit tab again. Definitely NOT a great solution but it worked for me and I hope it makes sense and may be helpful to others since I have not seen any other solution (other than turning off the Restrict to Slide Items Only option.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources