• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TEB store user input on SCORM close

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm building a replica of some PDF forms for a client in Captivate. Each page needs to have multiple TEBs that can store user input. I've set them to be validated and scored and ticked to report interaction data but there is no correct answer so the user can enter anything they like and it should be stored. When I test on SCORM Cloud and exit the SCORM after entering some data it is always lost and no interaction data is reported.

Is this possible? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

That is different from the original question. User variables are always reset when restarting a session. The quizzing system variables in a SCO are no user variables, but the variables associated with TEBs are user variables. If you want to restore those, you need server-side programming.  If you are sure that the learner will use the same system, you could use local storage and JS to save and retrieve the values from local storage. Your assumption is not correct, because you forgot about the di

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SCORM intereractions are typically looking for correct or incorrect answers to questions so that a pass/fail score can be generated.  If you have set up the TEBs so that any answer at all would be recorded in the assocated user variable, how did you 'validate' it?  When you turn on validation for a TEB that implies that there must be a correct answer otherwise you cannot validate it as correct or incorrect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Rod told, if you use a non-validated TEB, you cannot get the score to be added to the total score of the project.  Look at the Advanced Interaction panel (F9) to check. The associated variable will be populated in a non-validated TEB, but whether that variable can be shown depends on the LMS.

Have a look at this blog explaining the diffences between validated and non-validated:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/text-entry-boxes-back-to-basics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks to both you and Rod for your responses. That makes sense. So effectively there is no way in Captivate to build a non-validated 'free text' entry box that will be stored upon exit? Basically it's impossible?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not what I wrote. The value of the TEB variable will exist, even for a non-validated TEB. The problem is whether the LMS is capable of showing the user variables in an easy way.

I don't this you refer to scoring? It is always possible to add the score to another button, like Next, which will only appear when the entries are checked on not having a null value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The scoring actually isn't important here. The LMS doesn't need to know a score at all. All I am trying to achieve is a slide with multiple text entry boxes that store the user entry and RETAIN the text entered when the SCORM is closed. This data is only ever needed to be viewed upon opening the SCORM, it never needs to be reported on within the LMS at all.

At the moment I have only been able to achieve this with a free text quiz question slide. Even using validated and scored TEBs the SCORM simply does not retain the text upon closing and re-entering. Hence my understanding the TEBs simply don't retain text under any circumstances.

My assumption was that if a non-scored TEB didn't retain the date then a scored TEB must do as it is no different to a quiz question in that it has an interaction ID and counts towards the Quiz score. But this doesn't seem to be true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is different from the original question. User variables are always reset when restarting a session. The quizzing system variables in a SCO are no user variables, but the variables associated with TEBs are user variables. If you want to restore those, you need server-side programming.  If you are sure that the learner will use the same system, you could use local storage and JS to save and retrieve the values from local storage. Your assumption is not correct, because you forgot about the difference between system variables and user variables. The score of a validated TEB included in a Total score, will be saved with the system variable cpQuizInfoPointsscored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources