Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text display quality

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I am trying to find out why in a "blank project" the texts lose quality when expanding and in an interactive project the quality of the text is vector.
Thank you.

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

I tried to explain that his workflow is due to the fact that in the past only a few fonts could be used if they needed to be rendered on runtime and that was a big limitatioin for companies with 'branded' fonts who didn't understand that print and web published documents are totally different.

Captivate with SWF output was originally completely bitmap based. The ability to have vector graphics came very late to the web and embedding SVGs is a more recent feature of Captivate. The only way in the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reason is that in a non-responsive project all text containers are converted to bitmap images. Why? That allowed to use any font, not to be limited to websafe fonts (or Adobe fotns since more recent versions). As long ass you do not make the project scalable that will be fine, but bitmap images never remain as crips as vector when rescaling.

There is a way to force text rendering on runtime, for non-responsive projects. You have to make each container dynamic, which means that you have an inserted variable (value of the variable can be empty). You may have seen that such dynmaic text containers keep font crisp. Example: score slide after a quiz, which has quite a lot of system variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer, I understand what you are saying, but it is not logical that when you publish a "blank project", the fonts export them as a bitmap, being able to do as a vector.
The risk that the browser does not have the fonts we also have with the publication of an "interactive project".

I don't know if my deduction has logic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to explain that his workflow is due to the fact that in the past only a few fonts could be used if they needed to be rendered on runtime and that was a big limitatioin for companies with 'branded' fonts who didn't understand that print and web published documents are totally different.

Captivate with SWF output was originally completely bitmap based. The ability to have vector graphics came very late to the web and embedding SVGs is a more recent feature of Captivate. The only way in the past to keep fonts which were not websafe was to convert them to bitmap images. I tried to to a manual conversion to SVGs, but they have the disadvantage to take more time to render. Hence my suggestion for a non-responsive project (I don't like the default name of Blank which is confusing) to make all text cotnainers dynamic by inserting an empty variable, AND make sure only Adobe or websafe fonts are used.

Have a look at:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/fonts-in-captivate

It may all seem logical to you, but if you know more about the past of elearning and the history of Captivate you would understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.
But you will agree with me that if Cp has it resolved for "responsive projects" they could include it in "non-responsive projects".
I understand what he says, they have been working in distance training with Story Board (IBM), Authorware (Macromedia), Flash and now Captivate and many other digital editing tools.
The solution you gave me some time ago to use texts with variables, was very good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agree but the focus since a couple of versions is on responsive projects mainly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources