Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timestamps/Highlights at Videos for skipping to a specific point

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community,

is there a workaround to show timestamps in a Video in Adobe Captivate, so that I can highlight some points in the video and the user can skip to this point (like it is possible with youtube videos)?

Thank you for you help

Manuela

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Did you have a look at the link to an interactive video? The buttons in the top menu could be configured that way. It was the reason I added it. Do you need more information? Have a look at:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/interactive-video-navigation-bookmarks

https://blog.lilybiri.com/interactive-video-buttons

I am sure to be able to create the visual aspect of a timeline as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure to have the necessary details to answer your question, it is probably a terminology issue.

Are you prepared to publish to HTML5? In that case the answer is yes, you can use an interactive video. The 'timestamps' are labeled 'bookmarks' in that case, and it is possible to create a menu using the action 'Jump to Bookmark'. Instead of explaining more, here is an example of such an interactive video:

https://www.lilybiri.com/published/PlayPause_Scal/index.html

However if you want to publish only to MP4, which is passive video, you'll have to look for another tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

thank you for the quick response. I will publish the Video to HTML5. I know the "bookmarks" function, but I do not want the users to jump back to a point with an action, for exmple after they answered a question on an overlay slide. I would like to have a timeline, such as on the picture below.

Thank you very much.

manuelaz83179390_0-1667465215983.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate does not currently have a feature like the one you show here available for videos.  

If you need to provide users with access to certain parts of the video, and you don't want to use bookmarks, why not spread your video over multiple slides and then just use the default Captivate Table of Contents to allow users to jump to where they want to go.  It won't look like a timeline, but functionally the result is more or less the same by allowing the users to navigate the content easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have a look at the link to an interactive video? The buttons in the top menu could be configured that way. It was the reason I added it. Do you need more information? Have a look at:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/interactive-video-navigation-bookmarks

https://blog.lilybiri.com/interactive-video-buttons

I am sure to be able to create the visual aspect of a timeline as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you fot the quick response. I didn't realised this as the solution. I will check it out. Great idea. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Captivate has a lot of 'hidden' gems, I wondered why the team didn't extend the interactive Video features this way. Even with the now present features a lot is possible, although most learners still prefer passive video, something which I don't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources