• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transition effects applied to advanced actions

New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to build a slide that allows me to click on a subject title. This will then, ideally, present the content to appear at a designated area of the slide. When the other subject titles are clicked (three in total) it hides the previous content, and will show the new informaton. 

However, as transitions seem to be time-bound, are transitional effects not available for advanced actions? I presume .show will just literately set an object from hidden, to show without any FX? In this case, is there no action that works directly on the timeline and manipulates it's position? Therefore, I could design the slide as one continual movie, with appropriate stops set, and upon a click of a button it would set the timeline to say 00.07? Is this possible at all? 

I am not very familiar with Captivate, but it seems a pretty clunky experience, with an ability to design anything that works vaguely well needing the domain of software developers. At the moment my immediate feelings with the software is it feels like Powerpoint with a bit of a plug-in added to hold a few variables, circa 2002.

Bare in mind, my specialty is art and photoshop. Scripting and thinking algorithmically are not my strong suits. 

Cheers

TOPICS
Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not feel very inspireed to help you. I really dislike people judging an application which they do not know.

Transitions are old... they cannot be used in advanced actions.

Effects are mor recent and can be used in advanced actions.  Maybe this blog can clarify:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/how-to-use-custom-effect-in-actions

Only variables? What about all interacctivity? Not present in PPT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem with the software is not the potential features you can do; it's the convoluted hacksaw approach you need to do things that might ordinarly seem relatively simple. The work-arounds needed seem archiac. In photoshop, a smudge tool is a smudge tool. In Captivate it seems that you can sort of do it - but you'd be better off just learning javascript in the time it will take you to do it. In terms of interactivity, I can probably use Adventure Game Studio which is more effective for interactivity in terms of animation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even a hacksaw can be somewhat intimidating to someone that has never used on before.  In the world of software tools, Captivate is vastly more complex than it first may appear.  Unfortunately this catches a lot of new users by surprise because they wrongly assume that everything will simply conform to their personal idea of how something should work.  Since these new users didn't design the tool, their assumptions are bound to fail.

I generally recommend that before people dive into Captivate they should first spend time studying and learning about it.  Read HELP files, view lots of tutorial videos, and THEN start with a very SIMPLE project to cut their teeth on.  Diving into something that requires use of Advanced Actions to dynamically show/hide content is somewhat more advanced and not recommended as a starter project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources