• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble ascertaining system variables

Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to query my captivate 2017 file to ascertain certain system and/or user values of variables?  For instance, I'd like to determine the cpInfoCurrentFrame of a certain frame in my course.  Is it measured from the beginning of the course or the beginning of the slide?

I used to be able to use Put and Trace commands in Director/Flash to get a variable's value.  I could attach this as a script in a certain frame, but in Captivate I guess I need to click a button to which an action would reveal the variable, but where can I view it?  Create a text field to store it in? Are there any such ways to determine both system and user variables?

Thanks to all in advance, much appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have a look at some of my blog posts about variables:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/discover-slash-use-captivates-system-variables-part-1

https://blog.lilybiri.com/discover-slash-use-system-variables-part-2

cpInfoCurrentFrame: Frames are numbered during the full project timeline, not per slide. I am using this particular variable along with Frame variables from the Movie Control category for micro-navigation. Have multiple use cases on my blog, but here is an introduction:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/micro-navigation-introduction

If you take time to read the blogs you'll learn a lot more.. All system variables, except from the Movie Control category, can be viewed by inserting them in a text container (caption or shape), using the X button in the Character part of the text container:

Xbutton.png

Variables are case sensitive, as you may know already.

To avoid having to create user variables for each new project, I use one shared action imported into the Project Library to create them immediately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your prompt and thorough responses!  

I'll start digging into it now.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, happy to be able to help a former Director user (so long ago...). Although Captivate originally was Macromedia like Flash, it is quite different from both Director and Flash (now Animate). Fire away your questions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources