Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble downloading a trial version of captivate

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Background info: I have recently started at a new company, who do not currently have a more robust tool to use to create e-learning courses. I want to download a trial, so I can test the functionality, and show a sample to "the powers that be", so that they can determine which tool, Captivate or Storyline will work best for them. 

Issue: I cannot download the free trial. I have to use my personal login, because apparently free trials cannot be aquired if you have an enterprise account? However, it still asks for my organization, the industry and organization size. I can put in my organization, no problem (image 1), but nothing displays for the industry in the click down (image 2), nor the organization size. I cannot proceed without it, as it is required, yet there is nothing to select.

I like the description for the new functionalities that Captivate has since the last time I used it, but I will not be able to recommend it without visually showing a sample from both products. 

Thanks for your help,

Mary

image 1:IssueAdobe.png

image 2: IssueAdobe2.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very annoying, I know, cannot even tell how many times I have to fill in that same form which is not only appearing when downloading a trial verions.

However it is not clear why you cannot even fill in those fields? You can put in 1 for the organization size but you tell that you don't get a dropdown list at all for either fields? 

What was the last version of Captivate you have used in the past? There are plenty of published output and cptx-examples in the eLearning community. Not only from the Adobe team, but lot of other Captivate users. Not all are great, but that is normal in a user community. It is not solving your issue however. If you cannot reach Adobe Help, I will try to find a staff member who could probably help you better. I am just a user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no, it acts like a drop down for the org size as well. I have tried in Chrome and Edge and double checked that they are the most up to date that they can be.

The thing that is funny about it, is that I am logged in as myself, you would think if you were logged in you wouldnt have to fill out a form, but maybe I am just not thinking about it logically. 

It was in 2014 that I last used Captivate. I am not sure which version that was. My last employer's client preferred Storyline. 

Thanks for the feedback about the examples. I can have that as a back-up. I think it would mean more to them to see their own content expressed, but you do what you gotta do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very strange indeed. Edge and Chrome are also the browsers I have used. Do you have a CC account? 

Whow, you are in for a lot of surprises, because 2014 will have been version 6.  You may have a look at my blog, where I posted a lot of use cases and tutorials about the most recent version which is 11.5 or 11.8. That version 11.8 doesn't have new features but was necessary to cope with M1 chip and Monterey for the Mac users (and Win11 for the other users) but I didn't install it yet. It is available only as subscription license.

As for those forms, I need to fill in to watch the recording of presentations/workshops I presented at Adobe conferences. It cannot get any weirder.... And I have only one Adobe ID. It has been a lot of years I cut off my logical mind in dealing with those situations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have a CC account but only through the company, and apparently one cannot download trial versions when you have an enterprise account? At least that is what the dialog box said when I tried it from that account.

I have read a bit about the new features, and I am excited to try them out. How do I find your blog? I tried to click on your name, but that just gave me info about what you have posted in the forums. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mostly try to have a staff member to contact in case of license conflicts. As a user I don't have any experience with business licenses. You tried to download with a personal Adobe ID, correct? Was the CC app active? Since it is linked to another account, but is also needed for Captivate (can use Adobe fonts), the conflict could have been due to that. Try to log out completely from the CC app, and try to download the trial version again.

As an Adobe Community Professional I try to respect the 'etiquette'. Since there is no direct link between my blogsite and your question, I am not allowed to post an URL. However the link is in my profile text, and if you google on Lilybiri you will find my website (has a link to the blogsite) easily. 

In the eLearning portal, one of my blogs has been set up as a featured one, but it is the first one I ever wrote about version 11.5. I will post that link:

First Reflections on Version 11.5.0. - eLearning (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I was trying to download it on my home computer with my personal Adobe
account. I don't have CC on that, just on my work computer. I found an
email address at Adobe, so I sent an email asking. We will see what happens
with that.

Thanks for taking the time to try to come up with ideas to fix it, I
appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this problem and have tried to access the trial via both Chrome and Edge with no luck.

Have you been able to find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You generally need to have an Adobe ID in order to use Captivate (even for a trial version).  Getting an Adobe ID is free, but this is how Adobe controls their app licensing.  After the trial period runs out, if you want to keep using the product you will need to purchase a subscription.  Then the subscription is attached to your Adobe ID.

This information might help:

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/x-productkb/global/update-operating-system-and-browser.html

(This is for AFTER you get Captivate installed, if you run into the Update Your System OS issue.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I eventually found an email address that I could send my feedback/issue to, and then a few days later the form worked properly. See if it works for you now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources