• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Troubleshooting and or operators in advanced actions

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm stumped. I thought I had the conditional logic worked out, but perhaps not. I'm trying to manually check an answer to make sure it contains specific words and/or phrases. This is complicated by the nature of Captivate not matching text if the case is different, so I have to account for all lowercase, all uppercase and title case. If the answer is 2 or 3 words, it's not a big deal, but with longer text strings I figured using the custom and/or feature would make my life easier. Now that I'm testing... no bueno! 

Here's the action preview for the field in question:

js output from captivate.png

Assuming I am not missing something, that should required the answer to contain FL and 23481 and one of the following of each of the 'groups' of OR options:

aviation or Aviation or AVIATION, and

Simulation or simulation or SIMULATION, and

training or Training or TRAINING, and

NAS or Naval Air Station or NAVAL AIR STATION, and

Jacksonville or JACKSONVILLE

I can leave one of my seven options out and it still reads as correct/rue. If I leave two or more out, it I get the proper incorrect/false output.

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly why I thought Family Feud was never a good computer game. If I speak the name JACKSONVILLE - I am golden but since I am timed and maybe not so good at typing to begin with and type in JCKSONVILLE - I am out of luck.

It looks like you're trying to validate a text entry box. Can I suggest maybe reworking that question into a series of questions with fewer possibilities or perhaps giving them the selections like a multiple checkbox sort of thing?

I think that would alleviate some frustration.

To address the original question - I think it is going to boil down to a nesting problem due to the mixture of both AND and OR operators.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My advice after more than a decade with Advanced (and Shared actions): avoid combinations of AND/OR. In most cases it can be replaced by using multiple decisions. That is a much safer solution due to the nature of AA structures. Or use JS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm definitely leaning toward javascript. Some of my more involved slides already have more than 25 decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your choice. For quiz slides I hesitate, because I have no idea if the resetting of one system variable will automatically lead to what is linked with it: resetting of the answers on questions. Needs testing. And what wit the transfer to the LMS because that is important as well? That is why I mentioned that this could perhaps be solved on the LMS side instead of in Captivate. Looking forward to see the results of the JS approach.

I never had 28 decisions, but have optimized a lot of advanced actions for clients with such an amount of decisions. In most cases it can be avoided by thinking out of the box, or using some other techniques. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this module it's self-directed and unscored. Every single interaction module uses advanced actions; we're not using any of the quiz features. (sad use of Captivate, but not my decision)

It's a shame Adobe hasn't adequately provided for this function. Having something that only works sometimes is a horrible situation. When the leading experts say to avoid it, it's quite telling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others call me an expert, don't like that word. I love advanced and even more shared actions. Just told that  using many combinations of AND and OR is very tricky because you cannot use  'parentheses' to indicate the correct sequence of evaluation of the condition. I always found a 'workaround', didn't miss it so much.

Here is one, rather old example. But the leading JS expert at that moment (Jim Leichliter)  congratulated me for such an elegant solution. He appreciated this alternative over his code.  Bit of nostalgia... that type of friendly challenges between advanced actions users and JS experts were invigorating.

http://blog.lilybiri.com/custom-short-answer-question

The embedded example is SWF (blog from 2014).  I did update the blog for HTML5 output:

This approach could be used in your example as well.  Don't know hat game, but you could provide me with the logical formula you tried to emulate, including parentheses to force priority in evaluation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My preview action (in original post), I believe, shows it was coded correctly.

FL, and

23481, and

aviation or Aviation or AVIATION, and

Simulation or simulation or SIMULATION, and

training or Training or TRAINING, and

NAS or Naval Air Station or NAVAL AIR STATION, and

Jacksonville or JACKSONVILLE

I already use a method similar to your post to highlight errors and check provide feedback; it works like a charm.

I think I'm just going to use the "any of the conditions true" and type 16 variations. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I solved the problem. Software glitch.

I found it when I had a problem with a different slide. I had 2 slides that both solved for the same answer, one was working, one was not. I looked at the preview and noticed a difference: one of the necessary options was simply not there. I went back to the decision itself and changed each of the operators from or to and then back (and vise versa). Problem solved.

I think it was because the decision was originally using "any conditions or true" -- when I changed it, the 'or' options were showing, but not truly active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources