• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Typed Text appears when it shouldn't

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a scenario based module for work that has a little helper guide in the top left-corner of the screen. If you click on the guide image, helpful text is shown along with an 'X' to close out the text. Easily enough, you click the X and that hides the helpful text +  close button. I have been using Shared Actions; the entire thing is incredibly simple.

THE PROBLEM:
When testing the module, anytime I return to the screen with the helper icon, one of the states of text will be visible on screen. If I click the helper icon, the text "shows" along with the X to close. When I close it, it all hides like it is supposed to.
I don't know how to  fix this so the text does NOT appear when returning to the page. The shared actions are reading correctly, so I'm not sure what is happening here. 😞

Does anyone have any insight? Has this happened to you before? How did you fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would have been more helpful to see the shared action and its parameters.

I am not sure if you are using a Multistate object or not?

Anyway you need to use the On Enter event of each slide to reset everything to what has to be expected.

Maybe I could offer more help if I did know exactly how you set up the action. I have created blogs about similar situation. Here is one link:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/popups-on-quiz-slides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lilybiri- I've attached images of the Advanced Actions I used for this. The text is the Multi State object. When a user completes a task, the button they click changes the text to the updated hint. This action is ocurring accurately, there is just the text of that item appearing on the screen before a user even clicks the helper button. I hope I am explaining this well enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is getting a bit clarified now. I thought you used shared actions (in your original question)? 

You are mixing Show/Hide actions with state changes. For the multistate objects you do not need any Reset action if you leave the option 'Retain State when...' unchecked. However for the objects addressed with Show/Hide you need to check the status On Enter and execute the opposite action. I suspect you could have more multistate objects to avoid that. You never see the Close button when returning to the slide?  You didn't group it with the Hint - which I should have done -  in Show and Hide actions. That would have simplified those actions to one Show Group and Hide Group action and spared one command line in the first advanced action. You could use it also On Enter for the slide, just Hide Group. There is however one other object which is made visible in the longer advanced action, which may need hiding On Enter as well.

Which object do you wrongly see when returning to the slide? 

Maybe my first comment about using more multistate objects could become clarified by this post:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/tip-3-show-slash-hide-or-multistate-object-advanced-slash-shared-actions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I liked the advice on simplfying the action. I have it set up where the helper image shows the hint group (hint + close button) when clicked, and the close button closes that group.
I was saddened that it did not fix the problem. When I play the project, I can easily open and close the helper icon as it is supposed to be. When I leave that screen and come back to it, the text of the next state is visible onscreen, but not as if the image itself is visible. It's like a ghost of text, on screen until I click the helper icon and close the close button again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I never wrote that this would fix the problem. Sorry to repeat again: you need an On Enter action to reset the slide in its original situation. Did you have a look at the blog post where I showed such a popup on all quiz slides?

Can you also check the timing of that popup group in the Timing properties panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if your multi-state object has a Visited state that shows this text.  If so, remove/delete the Visited state.  That might be the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RodWard I was not sure the OP used a multistate object, but there is a close button as well which cannot be part of a state except the normal state.  This means that a Reset action on Enter is necessary anyhow, no need to delete the Visited state. I am not even sure that the Visited state of the button is used to show the information which is possible but not very well known. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am correct, the multi-state object is grouped with the kill button.  It's not part of the object state.  I'm guessing that button executes an Advanced Action that hides itself as well as the multi-state object.  However, if there is a Viewed state, and it is appearing by default (because the user has touched that object) then that would explain why the Viewed state appears and why there is no button present when it does.

We will just have to wait and see what the original poster says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Visited state needs to be added on purpose. Moreover you need to activate 'Retain state when returning' to keep the Visited state when returning to the slide. I really doubt that is the case here, but still am waiting for answers to my questions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The multi-state object is the text itself and has no Visited state.
There are three states total for the text, each one available as the user completes its next task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources