• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to delete unused Advanced Actions

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Using Captivate 9 11.5.1.499 on Windows 10)  I am working on several modules that were copies of a base program.  Before publishing for the LMS, I decided to clean up the old unused Advanced Actions. 

To do this, I pull up an advanced action and select the "USAGE" button.  The resulting window is blank (which makes sense since this was an Advanced Action from the original coursethat was copied).  I select the TRASHCAN icon to delete the Advanced Action and get a warning; "This action is used by one or more events.  Deleting it will restore these events to their defaults.  Do you want to proceed?"

When I select "YES" to proceed, I get a message saying "Script is used by one or more events.  Please clear the references before deleting."  

At the company I'm working for, we do not used "Shared Actions" and the script I am trying to delete only has an action of "CONTINUE".  So it doesn't seem tied to anything but I still cannot delete.

What am I missing?  What do I have to do to delete this and many other unused Advanced Actions?

TOPICS
Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Cannot help you, just tell that this is one of the many reasons why I prefer Shared actions whenever possible. Certainly in the situations you describe this would happen. The memory of Captivate for advanced actions which have been triggered once by one or more events is making such a deletion process very difficult. 

You can try to copy/paste slides to another blank project which uses the same theme, maybe you can get rid that way of some of the advanced actions. Actions triggered by slide even

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot help you, just tell that this is one of the many reasons why I prefer Shared actions whenever possible. Certainly in the situations you describe this would happen. The memory of Captivate for advanced actions which have been triggered once by one or more events is making such a deletion process very difficult. 

You can try to copy/paste slides to another blank project which uses the same theme, maybe you can get rid that way of some of the advanced actions. Actions triggered by slide events will be in that case, not those having been triggered by Success/Failure events off interactive objects. But you would be able to take the actions off the events and then they will be able to be deleted.

Lot of work. Would say, just ignore those unused actons. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I suspected that would be the answer, I was hoping for some secret technique to blast them out.  These modules are fairly small so plan to leave them for now and will know for the future projects.  Thanks for the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Feel free to log a feature request, time to update some of the advanced actions features. The lack of the filtering feature in he dropdown list of the advanced actions (where it exists almost in all dropdown lists) and the factt that you cannot reeuse the name for a new advanced action, even when the old one has been deleted is also very frustrating (doesn't exist for shared actions).  You hear me, I am a big fan of Shared actions for many reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with Lieve that this is one of those (many) areas of Captivate that is well overdue for some updates.

In the meantime, the easiest way to get rid of the unused Advanced Actions and Variables is to just copy all of your slides over to a new blank project of the same dimensions.  You will still have some tidying up to do regarding styles and theme etc, but at least the unused actions don't come across.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources