• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use a button to emulate the old Glossary widget

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since Microsoft pushed Edge out as a primary browser, I need to figure out a workaround for the Glossary widget for an acronym screen .  Scenario:

A number of buttons is on the screen. Each button consists of 2 states:

An acronym (default) state.

Clicking the acronym will reveal the meaning of the acronym.  This state of the button will need to persist if the user leaves the screen and then returns.

(I don't need any help counting how many acronyms have been clicked to enable a "Next Screen" button)

I'm getting hung  up on what type of buttons, what actions (if any) to use, etc.  I could have 30 or 40 of these on a screen.  I figured using one button and different states would be easier than click boxes, etc.

Many thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked this box for each of your buttons?

Stagprime_0-1603214966803.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StagPrime already pointed out what you need to do to keep the custom state when leaving the slide.

As for the buttons: you can use any type of buttons, but I recommend to use the Shape button (which you can also time for the rest of the project, if you want to keep those buttons for more than one slide). Delete the Rollover and Down state. Add a custom state with the explanation of the acronym, which is on the Normal state.  You don't talk about what you want to close the explanation?  The simplest solution would be to use the button as a toggle button, which you need to explain to the user; click once, and the explanation appears, click again the explanation disappears and the acronym is back. If you like that scenario, you need only one action to be attached to the button:

"Go to Next state...." and you indicate the button. It will toggle between the Normal and the Custom state.

Another question: do you want the slide to pause when the button is used ;or not? For the simple action which I proposed that would mean that you have to uncheck the button 'Continue playing the project'. 

Sure, don't use click boxes. 

I have explained the steps above in a slightly different use case:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/click-slash-reveal-interactions-back-to-basics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your helpful responses.  I have everything working as I expected - except -  monly issue now is, can I left or right justify the text in my button states?  Right now everything is automatically centered and it would all look better if I could control the justification. 

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which type of buttons do you use? I use mostly shape buttons, they have all the alignment options of a shape, including justification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources