Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very bizarre issues with audio in published project

Participant ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone

I am having very strange audio issues with a published Captivate file. Before I explain what that is - the audio files are all mp3 imported into Captivate, as these were the files provided by a client. I have read many of the forums saying the preferred is Wave, but that is not available with this project.

Some of my audio files are set to play on slide enter. Others are part of actions. I am testing the file in SCORM Cloud and here is what I have found:

• When listening through headphones - all audio sounds fine to me.
  • When listening without headphones - slide audio sounds fine, but any audio associated with actions sounds distorted
  • When the client tested this with headphones, same as above
  • When the client tested without headphones - they could not hear any sound on any slide

Adobe have not been able to help me - I'm desperate for answers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add - when I try the file in my LMS - everything works fine.

I'm wondering if there is an issue with SCORM cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you import MP3 files into Captivate, they will get converted to WAV inside Captivate so as to preserve as much audio quality as possible. 

MP3 is a compressed audio format.  That means you always lose at least some audio quality each time you make any changes to it and recompress it again.  Using WAV is recommended simply because it avoids loss due to compression.  

However, WAV files are typically about 10 times the size of MP3. This is why aptivate publishes your final project audio out as MP3 (according to whatever quality settings you define in the Audio dialog). 

So, just because you import audio as WAV files doesn't mean your project will be burdened with heavy audio file sizes.  It just means that your final output will sound better because you have maintained the quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod. Agreed. Wave files are definitely better. 

however these issues are just strange

- not playing without headphones for client but playing for me, with the exception of distorted files only on audio promoted by actions

- playing fine for both of us when using headphones 

- no issues at all, with or without headphones when using LMS instead of scorm. 

do you have any ideas what could be causing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have never had any issues with audio playback from SCORM Cloud LMS.

To debug this issue, I would first try eliminating the LMS as the cause by just uploading the same SCORM package to a normal web server and viewing it from there to see if you get the same issue. 

(Note: You will need to make sure the SCORM is uncompressed on the web server because you will not be able to view it if it's still a ZIP archive on the server.  When you upload a SCORM ZIP to an LMS it always gets uncompressed on the LMS after upload anyway.)

Is it possible that there is something sitting between your client and the SCORM Cloud LMS?  SCORM Cloud has a service they call Dispatch, where content on SCORM Cloud is then delivered and played through another LMS system at the client's end.  Is anything like that happening here?

Another thing to check for is whether your client is using a CITRIX system to view this content and not just viewing the course directly from SCORM Cloud via a web browser.  CITRIX (or similar) systems often play havoc with audio because they are designed to minimise bandwidth usage and that can mean that they are compressing the content to achieve speed at the expense of quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources