Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video Demo crashes Captivate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very disappointing.

Have read all the correspondence on this issue and it's clearly a bug for which there is no fix.

How can I get a refund so I can switch to Articulate Storyline (which consistently gets better reviews than Captivate)?

Cheers,

Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

In case anybody else is having similar problems I'd like to report that (much to my surprise) I did manage to find a solution.

I'd installed the Canon EOS Webcam Utility on my machine to allow me to use my Canon SLR camera as a high-quality webcam.

After working out how to successfully uninstall the utility I am now able to again use the Video Demo feature in Captivate.

What prompted me to go down this path was a post by somebody who had the same issue with a Logitech Webcam utility.

The most annoyi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you contact Adobe or whoever sold you the software.  This is just the Captivate User Forum, not Adobe Sales or Support.

However, before you burn your bridges, may I ask if you are actually looking for a solution, or have you already made up your mind you have given up on Captivate? 

Very few people using Captivate seem to have issues with Video Demo crashing.  Certainly some are, as can be seen by issues logged on this forum from time to time.  But helping users with issues is excatly what this forum is designed for. 

So, have you reached this conclusion because you provided some detailed information about your own issue and nobody here was able to offer any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod.

I've found a range of bugs in Captivate during the years that I've used it so am becoming disillusioned with the product.

The (unsolved) Video Capture problem descriptions I've read about are pretty-much the same as mine.

My Asus VivoBook x64 laptop is always kept up-to-date and running the latest version of Windows 10 Home. And I always run my Captivate 2019 as Administrator.

Video Capture actually used to work but today it doesn't.

Even chose the Captivate Update option but it says I'm up-to-date.

As an aside, somebody has now even posted a YouTube video about this issue: https://youtu.be/eBRNHfltm-Q so there's definitely a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case anybody else is having similar problems I'd like to report that (much to my surprise) I did manage to find a solution.

I'd installed the Canon EOS Webcam Utility on my machine to allow me to use my Canon SLR camera as a high-quality webcam.

After working out how to successfully uninstall the utility I am now able to again use the Video Demo feature in Captivate.

What prompted me to go down this path was a post by somebody who had the same issue with a Logitech Webcam utility.

The most annoying thing about Captivate crashing when this happens is the total lack of user guidance about what caused the crash.

Maybe an "Incompatible webcam software detected, please uninstall to continue using Video Demos" message would help.

I also found that it made absolutely no difference, with this issue, whether Captivate was being run in Administrator Mode or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Updating the Logitech Capture app for my webcam was what fixed the issue for me.  

It seems the Video Demo issue was really just Captivate's capture DLLs getting into a turf war with Logitech's DLLs over who had right of way.

This sort of thing can easily happen with just about any software that involves video, audio, or camera and Captivate is involved in all of those plus a lot more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources