Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VR and WebGL security concerns

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I think that there is a lot of potential in Captiate's VR projects. They can be used in a lot of occasions - Onboading comes to mind immediately. However, the VR projects rely on WebGL that has some security concerns around it - interesting read here.

WebGL is just not allowed in our company. I had a conversation with our Security team more than a year ago and they shared their concerns. No go. For me that means that I cannot even present a VR project to the stakeholders. I am sure it would be a success but there is no way security allows WebGL with the current concerns in place.

I was wondering if someone has had similar experience, is there a way around that and and also are there any news on the approach?

Thanks in advance

Bobby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution I can think of is to publish this type of content on an external web server like Amazon AWS. Then link to the content from your company intranet site or LMS. This way you can continue to use this content but it would be outside of your organization. Check with your IT department if this is an acceptable solution. Here is a tutorial where I show you how you can upload your content to Amazon AWS for such a situation: https://youtu.be/wajNZA9oVnw 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Paul for your usual good tips. I am afirad that Amazon is not on our white list. Long story...

But I dont think this is the issue. Actually, the WebGL does not work in the browsers. It is rather a browser issue not allowing the plug in to load than it is an issue of where the content is hosted.

I am also exploring Google's VR tools - one can create a tour with 360 imags in their Tour creator and then see it in their Poly viewer. For instance, this is a random project someone did  https://poly.google.com/view/2DDhX9NnkDi 

I did not see WebGL loading. in the Dev Tools. Is Google using a different VR plugin for the visualisation in browser?

Thanks

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi B,

according to my console in Firefox Developer Edition:

TourCreator is using the WebVR (Native) API

Whereby WebVR is deprecated and will be replaced by WebXR afaik.

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Klaus

Actually I tried the Google Poly player and it does not work either in our environment.

It is quite strict... captivate's VR would have been really a good option but... need to see in the future

Thanks

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources