• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When Do You Use the Captivate Skin for Navigation or to Create Your Own Navigation

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When is it best to use the Captivate Skin for navigation or create your own?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just my personal opinion, others can have a different view. I never use a default playbar (except sometimes in developing stage) for these reasons:

• Because I mostly have branching in projects, they are not linear. That means that the behavior of the progress bar is very confusing to learners.
  • The Next/Back buttons on the playbar override any custom navigation which you have when using branching, remediation, conditional actions. With custtom buttons you can have custom navigation.
  • I often have On Enter actions for slides (for resetting or preparing situations on revisit); when a learner uses the progress bar in a playbar to end up in a random frame, those On Enter actions often will be skipped and that leads to strange situations.
  • If you have attached scores to interactive objects and the learner prefers using only the buttons on the playbar, he may miss scoring and results will be falsified.
  • Custom buttons can have a better design by editing the InBuilt states and adding custom states (lToggle buttons).

Conclusion: use the default playbar only for simple, linear, PPT-like projects. If you want to add quick navigation, using a TOC with navigation turned on is a better choice IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. Maybe other users will offer more ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources