• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Questions about Adding Modules to Existing Course

Contributor ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, you may have not seen my response to another person's post, but I have concerns about the way Prime handles adding new modules to an existing course. It would be very, very common to have to add modules to an existing course as the course grows. I'd like to know how this "retire the course" is going to effect scoring and history, etc. See below...

"How strange. I had the same issue, found it very hard to figure out how to add a module to an existing course. This is something that could happen a lot, so my question is. If I have to duplicate the course, and then retire the "old" course, do I have to 1) Reassign the course to the people who need to take it, and 2) Will the lesson's results be transferred over (i.e. people who have already taken the existing lessons in the course.) I find this very messy and strange. Can you provide a little more information about it?"

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2015 Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

To add modules to an existing course, you must duplicate it and then add modules and publish. After this, you can assign it to the learners. We do not transfer results across the courses because Prime treats a course and it duplicate as 2 separate entities and does not mix the enrollment data and result.

When admin retires a course, Prime preserves its history, scores and reporting data, but the retired course will not be available for further enrollment.

If you have any further queries, feel free to post it here.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Ruchi Rathore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but this really needs to be re-thought. Does Adobe think that once a course is created, that's it? It's never added to? I can tell you that trainers will not like this feature. It should be optional; if they want to retire a course and create a new one, or just add to an existing one. I'm not sure I understand the purpose but what I do understand is that will create a very confusing LMS.

Thanks.

Tanya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Tanya,

We hear you. Thanks for providing the feedback. We will discuss this internally and based on more feedbacks we will decide whether to make any such changes to the system.

The issue with allowing addition of modules to existing courses is that the reporting becomes a problem.

1. Number of modules required to complete a course may differ for learners based on whether they take the course before or after the modification.

2. Time spent by learners on the course may get affected.

3. and few more issues ....

Can you help us with a real world example/usecase of the need of adding modules to an existing published course.

Regards

Mukul

Captivate Prime Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Tanya,

We hear you. Thanks for providing the feedback. We will discuss this internally and based on more feedbacks we will decide whether to make any such changes to the system.

The issue with allowing addition of modules to existing courses is that the reporting becomes a problem.

1. Number of modules required to complete a course may differ for learners based on whether they take the course before or after the modification.

2. Time spent by learners on the course may get affected.

3. and few more issues ....

Can you help us with a real world example/usecase of the need of adding modules to an existing published course.

Regards

Mukul

Captivate Prime Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

A couple of examples are when a trainer is building their course, they may have trainees working on the course, but the trainer may not be finished adding lessons. Building a course could take months. In addition, the courses I mostly build are regarding policies and procedures. Anytime a new policy is developed, I need to add another lesson. If someone completed the course before I added the lesson, then in my eyes they completed the course; only trainees going forward would have to complete the course with the new lesson added. I guess it would be nice if this was optional. If trainers want to develop a new course every time they have to add a lesson then so be it, but for a lot of us, I really don't think we want to do that. I'm not seeing the benefit in that.

Courses shouldn't be looked at as a stagnant thing - it's training, it can and should be constantly be changing with what is happening within one's organization. I'm not sure what the answer is, perhaps more programming to accommodate the situation of adding more lessons to an existing course, but I am worried about what happens to the data. The main course that I will have in Prime is a course that every new employee has to take. If I want to add a new lesson to this course, and now this "new course" is the course all new employees have to take, I now have to go to another course to get my statistics...then I add another lesson, and now I have 3 courses I have to go to to get my statistics. As I said, I'm not sure I know what the answer is, but I'd like more options.

Thank you,

Tanya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar concern. I am not publishing a course for review, or pilot by test group of learners because I cannot add later modules. I am ready for them to test part 1 (module 1) of a four part pilot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are looking at purchasing Adobe Prime and this thread is alarming to say the least! I agree with everyone here that I MUST be able to add content to a course as it matures.

So what happens if I have one module that is applicable to many courses? We've been assuming (dangerous!) that if someone completes a module on "How to use a micrometer" in one course, it would show up as a completed module in another course where it applies. Is that NOT the case?

So what will happen in Prime as an employee moves from one position to another and enters a new training program that might share requirements (modules) with another course? Must they retake those same modules again?

Please explain what will happen in this situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources