• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2019 Captivate - Fatal Error when recording with Custom Mode settings

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to the latest version of Captivate, and am now getting a fatal error when recording.

"A fatal error has occurred and the application is being terminated. Adobe Captivate has tried to save all your work...."

I have the issue narrowed down to the recording setting.  I use a Custom recording mode, to capture a "hybrid" version or simulation/demo.

In the Modes>Custom screen, I have selected the option to "Use Smart Shapes instead of Captions"

If I "deselect" this setting and instead use Captions - then it will record with the rest of the settings and no error is generated.

So there is an issue with using Smart Shapes in the capture.

Here is some other information:

1. I have been using this recording setting successfully on Captivate 2019 - this only started happening with the latest version release - which we upgraded to last week.
  2. This is happening to EVERY team member on our eLearning design team (6 team members) - so this is not specific to one user
  3. I cleared the CACHE in Preferences
  4. I did the Clean PreferencesWin file in the utils folder
  5. I renamed the Captivate 11.5 folder in the App Data - to Captivate 11.5_old then reopened Captivate, to force it to generate a new one
  6. I changed the layouts folder on the C drive to force it to create a new one - and again - still have the issue (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Adobe\eLearning Assets) - found the folder called Layouts - renamed to Layouts_old - and restarted Captivate.
  7. I have files setup to save to the C: and not a network location, so it's not a network connectivity issue.

Nothing has resolved. We have well over 100 learning materials - with several hundred more to develop over the next year - and really need the smart shape in place of the caption setting.

Any other suggestions of what to try?

(I did report this to Adobe support as well, via email - but I don't know how long it will take to get a response.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

I have found a fix in another thread, which seems to work at least for the shapes instead of the captions. You can download a dll file from:

Re: 2019 Captivate - Fatal Error when recording with Custom Mode settings

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is the setting fo Custom recording? I always set to Shapes in stead of Captions, that can be set or all modes.

Could double-check but need to have those details. I am on Windows, is that the case for you?

Did you delete Preferences before installing the upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't delete preferences before installing the upgrade. But did delete the preference file since and recreate from a default.

I also went back to all of the recording modes, and on ANY of those modes, if I change to use smart shapes, I get the fatal exception error.

so it's tied to that particular setting, and not tied to which mode you set it on.

custom_settings.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just double-checked and can confirm this is a bug. There seem even more problems with software sims, am not able to fit an application in a custom sized window anymore. Will log the bugs, may I invite you to do the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never logged one - but I do have a time scheduled with Adobe Support for tomorrow morning - so hopefully they will get it logged, and we can get an estimated time for the fix.

Thank you for confirming this though, as it's extremely helpful to know for sure that this is not something on our end and is indeed happening to others!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logged the bugs and wrote a mail as well.

This is an important bug, hope with you that it will be fixed soon. Moreover, I set the change to shapes globally, but after each crash (tried three times) Preferences had lost that setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a fix in another thread, which seems to work at least for the shapes instead of the captions. You can download a dll file from:

Re: 2019 Captivate - Fatal Error when recording with Custom Mode settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted the link to the thread. You 'll see it in that thread, it is a link to a CC file which has a new version of the Capture.dll file to replace the older file (best rename it for safety). The original poster is Shreya, from the Adobe team, to be trusted believe me. Didn't want just to post the link, hence the one to the thread which has the explanation of the workflow. You need admin rights of course.

I tested it out and had no more crashes when recording a software sim with Shapes ad feedback text container.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's odd - when I clicked the link, it just took me to this thread - but not a problem, I went in and searched and found the post from 3 days ago - with the correct .dll file.

thanks for you help - I have replaced the file, and my issue is fixed. Have passed along to the rest of the team to fix for them as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot link directly o a specific answer in a thread, but it as no that long. Thought it would save time (also for me, I'm just a user as well). Glad it worked for you as well.

Can you mark the thread as answered? Could do it myself as moderator, but prefer you to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't find "the post from 3 days ago" and the link does not work. Can someone please put a link in this thread to the .dll file? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this EXACT issue with everything you have said. I have not been pleased with this latest update considering I use Software Simulation all of the time. I have been trying to get help from Adobe, but I am left in the chat for ridiculous amounts of time with no answer. I am so disappointed in what used to be a pretty flawless feature of this program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using 11.5.1.499 which fixed the original bug mentioned in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using version 11.5.1.499. The error stopped occurring when a setting under Preferences > Recording > Modes. The Mode is set to Training Simulation. When 'Add Text Captions' was deselected, the error stopped occurring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link just goes to the Adobe main support page, not to a particular download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources