• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2019 Fill-In-The-Blank Issue - increase the size of dropdown box

New Here ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Captivate 9. A fill-In-the-blank slide. Dropdown box with 2 choices. I need to increase the size of the box beyond the length of the 2 answers. All my research has pointed to adding additional spaces as a work-around.  This does not seem to work. Empty spaces are completely ignored by the program. Even putting a period before or after the line of empty spaces--the spaces are still not inserted. Does anyone have a solution for this?

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from generic Cloud/Setup forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The size of the box is based on the length of the first item. In order to have a wider box you would need to place the longest item as the first option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael's solution is the simplest one.

This is another one of those annoying usability issues that Captivate is famous for.  The quiz questions are long overdue for some redesign that would allow more flexible formatting to fix these kinds of annoyances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have implemented work-around after work-around on this project due to the limitations of captivate. This didn’t come without a ton of research and troubleshooting, which has put me behind on my timeline. Thanks for confirming that I’m not alone in the struggle. Maybe we call it handicaptivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Yes, I was afraid there no additional options existed yet. I only have 2 choices in the dropdown— true or false. The space is barely wide enough to fit “false”. I can’t add other choices, nor can I change the order of the choices. So, I suppose at this point I have no options. Thanks again for taking time to respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to use the dropdown interaction as alternative? Since many versions there have been this type of issues with FIB questions, which I never use for that reason. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have become so used to work-arounds, I completely forgot about the dropdown widget--as I am already working around by using FIB as T/F in order to get several questions on one slide. Great suggestion. I suppose now I will just need to work out how to have my Correct and Incorrect feedback show based on the widget dropdown selection of the user. Thanks again for the suggestion. The size of the box is great. If I figure out the feedback connection, this could work. I'll give it a go and come back to post my results within the next couple days, as it may help someone else also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple T/F? In that case I use the radiobuttions interaction. Have posted many blogs about custom quesitons, but most still in the SWF era.... will gradually refurbish them for HTML5 output. Will be the last series in my Quizzing soap, after Default setup series (5), Tweaking series (5 out of 6 ready).  Maybe will bundle all in a book.

If you still have a SWF enabled browser, have a look at:

Widgets and Custom Questions - part 1 - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also a great suggestion. I suppose I skipped the widgets and went straight to work-arounds after using a FIB slide for an actual FIB question (my first thought). Yes, I've read a lot of your posts/tutorials; they have been very helpful throughout my project. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources