• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2019 Running Slow on PC

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team just updated to Captivate 2019 and I am wishing we hadn’t. Our productivity has dramatically decreased since we upgraded due to the slowness of the program. Literally, each click takes about 2 -3 seconds which adds up at the end of the day.  Please help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to provide more details:

• Which Captivate version? 
  • Does it have all patches applied?
  • What are your system specs?
  • Mac or Windows?
  • Are you running high definition monitors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2019   11.5.1.499

PC Windows 10

Regular monitors

Not sure about the patches. I just upgraded a month ago so I would assume it has all the patches

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have the most recent version. But Rod was also asking about your system specifications. As usual for software companies, the minimum requirements mentioned in the documentation are much too low.

Did you try to clean the Preferences and do you clear the cache regularly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clear my cache regularly. Not sure what you mean by cleaning the Preferences. Also, what do you mean by the minimum requirements mentioned in the document are too low?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jayne,

the most recent Captivate version as of today is 11.5.4.613. If you haven't already done so, I would recommend to update.

I myself am a Mac user, can't help you with Admin User Rights on Windows. But you can see if you have Admin rights when you are able to install new software on you machine. If you can't you haven't got Admin rights.

Another thing that helped me with speed problems (on a Mac of course) was to check in Preferences/General Settings the option: Enable custom workspaces/panel undocking. I admit, this is a little far fetched and speculative, but it made a difference to my "Watching paint dry" period which I experienced last summer with Captivate 11.5.
Just try, if it doesn't help, you can always deactivate this option again.

Greetings, Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Small correction. For Windows users the most recent version is 11.5.1.499. The other version is for Mac users only.

Run as Administrator is not the same as having full Administrator rights.  Do not confuse both. If you run with that option a dialog box will ask you to confirm if you will allow Captivate to make changes. You do not necessarily have to be able to install other software; it is restricted to Captivate.

That option in Preferences, General settings activates the Expert UI instead of the Newbie UI. I never use the Newbie UI at all. In the Expert UI you are able to control and create workspaces, to open and move floating and fixed panels. There is no reason why this would speed up the PC.

First question is: what type of PC do you have, what are its specifications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having problems. Have you any additional information on what could be causing this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are both Defautl Location fields in Preferences showing they are pointing to local hard drive folders on your PC, or are they perhaps pointing to a remote server location or roaming user profile in the cloud?

If all Default Locations are local, are you opening CPTX files directly from a LAN server location rather than first downloading the CPTX to your local hard drive and then opening it from there?

Please confirm.

AND... Are you currently using Captivate with Run As Administrator privileges?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both pointing to folders on the desktop and we open from those same folders. Not sue about the admin as we have an enterprise license. How would we change that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So your Default Locations are both pointing to folders on your Desktop, but the Windows Desktop is just a folder buried inside your User Profile.  If your entire User Profile is on a remote LAN server somewhere, not on your local hard drive, then your performance can be seriously impacted. 

It's common practice for IT departments in business organisations to have all user profiles stored on a company server so that all information is backed up every day.  But while this system has some advantages, it is a major cause of slow performance in Captivate because it needs to work off local hard drive folders.

So my question about your Default Locations was trying to find out if that was really the case here.  You need to look at the entire path way shown in the Default Locations fields in Captivate Preferences.  Does the pathway start with something like C:// or does it start with something else that indicates a LAN drive?

Having Captivate use Run As Administrator is essential to having all parts of the program run seamlessly.  If you don't know how to set this up, you need to talk to your IT department.  If you are in a corporate situation it is unlikely that you have permission to change these settings unless you have full Administrator rights to your computer.  So, ask the IT boys and girls to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like this - C:\Users\jrogers\desktop\My Adobe Captivate Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK.  That's good.  If that's where the Default Location folders are that cannot really be the cause of your performance issue.

Are you working only on CPTX files that are in local hard drive folders?

Are you working on very high resolution monitors?

It's not normal for Captivate 2019 to be slow when used on a computer with your specs.  Something else must be contributing to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources