• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

%26 breaking URL in Captivate

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a click box opening a new window to a URL containing "Finance_%26_Accounting".  When I publish it out, Captivate switches the "%" to "%2526" which breaks the link.  I've seen other solutions with a similar issue where the %20 is changed to an actual space within the URL.  However, when I change the %26 to "Finance_&_Accounting" the link still does not work.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  How can I fix it?  I don't have control of the link to remove the ampersand...

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

I think the issue with the link is that an ampersand in a URL is normally used as an component of the URL that immediately precedes the name of a variable.  Ampersands are also used in JavaScript and other web-based programming code.  So including them in a URL where it's not expected can break things.

That being said, I do agree that it would be nice if Captivate didn't arbitrarily change the format of the link at publish and break it.  I suggest you log this as a bug with the Captivate developm

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if either of these will work but you may want to try the ascii code "&" or HTML name string "&"  to replace the ampersand.  As I am sure you know, this is one reason it is a very bad practice to include special characters in folder, file or URL naming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the attempt, but neither worked.  I am a big proponent of not putting symbols in URLs or files, but this link is hosted by a different team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue with the link is that an ampersand in a URL is normally used as an component of the URL that immediately precedes the name of a variable.  Ampersands are also used in JavaScript and other web-based programming code.  So including them in a URL where it's not expected can break things.

That being said, I do agree that it would be nice if Captivate didn't arbitrarily change the format of the link at publish and break it.  I suggest you log this as a bug with the Captivate development team here: Adobe Captivate

In the meantime (don't hold your breath for a quick resolution in Captivate itself) I would suggest you try using TinyURL or some other similar service that will create an alias link you can put into Captivate that doesn't get changed.

TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure where my head was at when I replied earlier but I agree with Rod, tiny URL should provide a quick and easy resolution to your issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources