Highlighted

7 tabs advanced interaction images not showing

Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Captivate 2019 on a Mac. I couldn't find any answers that were less than a couple years old. Here is my problem. I have a stock Captivate learning interaction, 7 tabs to the right with advanced interaction, that shows and hides each group of text captions. I added images to the groups. In each of the 7 groups, the tab actions either show or hide, but only the first group shows both the text AND the image. I have it set up so that when you click the tab, the heading and a photo appear. The photo then fades to reveal a text block underneath it. The first group of two text captions and an image works fine. But, going down the list of tabs, the TEXT for each of the remaining 6 tabs works fine, but the IMAGES are NOT SHOWING. I tried bringing all the images to the front in the group, but that didn't work.  Also, if I moved the second group to the top, that worked fine, but then the same thing happens–no images for the remaining 6 tabs, including the first group that was shuffled beneath. Do I need to stagger the start of the images in the timeline? Or, is it going to "play" just once, showing the first image all the way through, but then not jump back to "play" the subsequent images. That shouldn't matter since the action is supposed to be a tab jump to the next group.

Finished in one hour. I just made separate slides to jump to with each button. Photos on top fade out to expose the copy underneath. Everything works fine. No groups, no tabs, no hide and show. None of that is needed or worked, so I want back to the "old way." It's fast and works. Doing everything on one slide takes too much time and is science project. Thank you for looking into solutions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

7 tabs advanced interaction images not showing

Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Captivate 2019 on a Mac. I couldn't find any answers that were less than a couple years old. Here is my problem. I have a stock Captivate learning interaction, 7 tabs to the right with advanced interaction, that shows and hides each group of text captions. I added images to the groups. In each of the 7 groups, the tab actions either show or hide, but only the first group shows both the text AND the image. I have it set up so that when you click the tab, the heading and a photo appear. The photo then fades to reveal a text block underneath it. The first group of two text captions and an image works fine. But, going down the list of tabs, the TEXT for each of the remaining 6 tabs works fine, but the IMAGES are NOT SHOWING. I tried bringing all the images to the front in the group, but that didn't work.  Also, if I moved the second group to the top, that worked fine, but then the same thing happens–no images for the remaining 6 tabs, including the first group that was shuffled beneath. Do I need to stagger the start of the images in the timeline? Or, is it going to "play" just once, showing the first image all the way through, but then not jump back to "play" the subsequent images. That shouldn't matter since the action is supposed to be a tab jump to the next group.

Finished in one hour. I just made separate slides to jump to with each button. Photos on top fade out to expose the copy underneath. Everything works fine. No groups, no tabs, no hide and show. None of that is needed or worked, so I want back to the "old way." It's fast and works. Doing everything on one slide takes too much time and is science project. Thank you for looking into solutions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 22, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello patrick,

I done something very similar to that.

Can you upload a sample image and highlight the problem.

Be specific about what you want to achieve.

The forum will take it from there.

Luis

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok all the images are posted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you clarify, because you talk about 'interaction ', but I suspect you mean a custom interaction created with advanced actions? There is a Tabs Learning Interaction, hence the confusion, and a panel called 'Advanced Interaction' as well.

Can you please post a screenshot of the timeline and a Preview of the used advanced action(s). You probably used duplicate advance actins, not shared actions (which could be much more appropriate). From your question I also suppose you are using a Delay command in that action and a motion path effect? Did you create custom effects for that purpose?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the images are posted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is that timeline so long? I don't see any audio, which would be the only reason for having such a long timeline. Once the staggered shape buttons have been on the stage you can pause the timeline with shape button 9£. No need to have that pausing point so late. I suspect that is a Next button, which means that the inactive part of the slide will never be visited, and is superfluous.

The Advanced action has 3 Continue commands: Either the means it has been corrupted, or you are releasing the playhead, which should not be the case in an interaction.

Although I would prefer to used multistate objects instead of all the Show and Hide, if you prefer that older erthod, at least use some grouping / That could allow to create a shared action which will make your project a lot smoother. ou talk about fading, For fading, why not apply an effect instead of adding a transition which needs the timeline? There is an Alpha From To effect available.

You are on CP2019, is it 11.0.1 or 11.5?

BTW Are you new to Captivate? Sorry to ask.You talked about a stock Learning interaction... but it is not one packaged with Captivate. Where did you get it, and for which version was it created? Maybe that is what gives me the impression that it is very old style.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri  wrote

Why is that timeline so long? I don't see any audio, which would be the only reason for having such a long timeline. Once the staggered shape buttons have been on the stage you can pause the timeline with shape button 9£.

It started out as a 3 sec. slide with the pause at the end of 3 sec. It became extended as I was working with it, that's all.

No need to have that pausing point so late. I suspect that is a Next button, which means that the inactive part of the slide will never be visited, and is superfluous.

Yes it should only be 3 sec. with the pause right away. I have no idea what that smart shape 8 is or is doing.

The Advanced action has 3 Continue commands: Either the means it has been corrupted, or you are releasing the playhead, which should not be the case in an interaction.

Must be corrupted then. I don't know where the continues came from.

Although I would prefer to used multistate objects instead of all the Show and Hide, if you prefer that older erthod, at least use some grouping / That could allow to create a shared action which will make your project a lot smoother.

Occams Razor. I use the simplest fastest approach.

You talk about fading, For fading, why not apply an effect instead of adding a transition which needs the timeline? There is an Alpha From To effect available.

We produce for use on cel phones and pads only. Flash effects do not work anymore on phones  so I use a transition.

You are on CP2019, is it 11.0.1 or 11.5?

11.0.1 Afraid to upgrade. Don't want it to mess up all the modules I created in 11.01. I'm on a Mac running Captivate 11.0.1 on OS Mojave 10.14. The Captivate update specs states minimum system requirements is 10.14.5.

BTW Are you new to Captivate? Sorry to ask.You talked about a stock Learning interaction... but it is not one packaged with Captivate. Where did you get it, and for which version was it created? Maybe that is what gives me the impression that it is very old style.

Yes it is from Captivate in the Sample Projects folder . 9190427-direct-Tabs-Right-Captivate-Interaction.cptx. I think back then Adobe was partnering with ELearning brothers, because they included all these samples and encouraged people to go there and get free stuff. Now it requires a subscription. I started out on Captivate 9 about 5 years ago and didn't start working in it again until this year. My coworkers and boss want me to stop using it and go to Storyline. Every time something like this happens they say the program is a buggy mess and waste of time. They run Storyline on Mac with a windows os.

So then, after all those questions do you have any idea why the images showing up? It works fine with text only. Maybe they are too large for the app to handle. It just seems like it keeps getting corrupted. I will remove all the "continues" from the advanced actions and see if that helps. This is such a simple interaction that I can't believe I had problems with it.  I am going to build it from scratch on my own and see if I can get it working.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Effects are not Flash, I use them all the time and only publish to HTML5 since 3 years.

I think that interaction was created for a much older version, certainly not for CP2019. I never did see nor used that interaction. It is very old style, I would say it started in CP6 or 7.

Calling it a buggy mess because you are using old interactions in newer versions? If you are serious about mobile developing, I would say to keep away from SL, but that is my personal opinion. You need fully HTML5 projects, not workarounds like wrappers with SWF based content.

I would create that interaction from scratch using multistate objects.. It will be needed anyway if you want this to become a real responsive project, because you cannot have stacked objects in those projects

Why they are not showing? Advanced action lacks 3 commands, no idea what they were, but they have been replaced by the dummy command Continue. Timeline makes no sense neither.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri  wrote

Effects are not Flash, I use them all the time and only publish to HTML5 since 3 years.

Maybe not Flash, but do not work on phones. None of those effects like, rotate, scale to, skew etc. work on phones.

I think that interaction was created for a much older version, certainly not for CP2019. I never did see nor used that interaction. It is very old style, I would say it started in CP6 or 7.

So what you are saying is nothing from the past will work or should be avoided? I started on Captivate 9, and these templates came in the samples folder.

Calling it a buggy mess because you are using old interactions in newer versions? If you are serious about mobile developing, I would say to keep away from SL, but that is my personal opinion. You need fully HTML5 projects, not workarounds like wrappers with SWF based content.

Coworkers call it a buggy mess when I am hung up on something. I will only use Captivate. All my projects are HTML5. When I zip them I only use HTML 5. I have about 8 modules on TalentLMS that work fine that our subscribers pay for and they all work, on all phones. My coworkers use Storyline and sing the praises.

I would create that interaction from scratch using multistate objects.. It will be needed anyway if you want this to become a real responsive project, because you cannot have stacked objects in those projects.

Why would all 7 tabs work with text then, and just not with an image grouped with the text captions? We do not design responsive projects only fixed size without any fluid boxes. They are simple, incorporate lots of video and work fine. What you are saying that you cannot stack groups and expect the groups to play as tabs. That makes the most sense since only the first one plays with the image.

Why they are not showing? Advanced action lacks 3 commands, no idea what they were, but they have been replaced by the dummy command Continue. Timeline makes no sense neither.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I started with.Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 1.30.04 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 1.30.20 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are not using flui boxes, it is possible to stack objects. But you cannot label those proejcts in that case as real responsive, since they are just rescaled. In that case SL is a concurrent.

I prefer in many instances multistate objects over hide/show combinations. In this blog post I created a comparison between the two workflows for a non-responsive project. For a responsive project it is clear hat you need multistate objects:

Force Clicking Hotspots: Comparison 2 Workflows - eLearning

Not really your use case, but it shows advantages/disavantages of both methods.

I just supect the advanced actions to be the cause of the problems you are having with the images. Since some commands do not appear, I can only 'guess'.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timeline looks normal in the original version.

Something Ididn't check: do all groups have a unique name, which is not used for anything else?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes everything has unique names. This is so simple I don't understand why it doesn't work. Now the pictures only show up in a few of the groups when the button is selected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 9.06.21 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The advanced actions window. The Learn_Obj_7 content is shown and all the others are hidden. The problem is only the top group in the timeline shows the pic. If I moved Learn_Obj_4 to the top of the timeline, then that group would show the pic, but none of the other groups will show the pics.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 9.04.18 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 9.06.00 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1-7 are the groups, opened by the "Learning Objective" tabs. #7 is uncollapsed to show the order of the assets in the group.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The #7 tab is shown selected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2019 0