Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

About " Return To the last visited slide" feature

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding to the function of Return to the last visited slide, and how I can customize the system variable, cpInfoLastVisitedSlid to limit some accessing in the project.

Since I don't know anyway to keep my word concise and clear, I will try to explain my question more...

Version I use: Captivate 5

Currently, I am working on a project that includes the course content and a navigation guide together.

Each Course Content Slide has 3 buttons:

1. Back to previous slide
  2. Go to the next slide
  3. Navigation Guide (goes to the navigation guide menu page )

The Navigation Guide is a 30-slide little session telling our audience how to navigate and print with pdf version. Here is how we structure the Guide:

1. menu Page, in the menu page, there are 4 button
    1. button to go back to the last visited slide
    2. button to section A
    3. button to section B
    4. button to section C
  2. Section A in the guide
  3. Section B in the guide
  4. Section C in the guide

On each Section, there are buttons that can go to their sub sections and return to the menu...

the user accesses from any course content slide to the navigation guide. The frist slide they will see after entering navigation guide is the menu page with 4 buttons. If the user click " go back to the last visited slide" button, the button will takes to where the user was in the course content slide.

However, if the user click the other buttons to view the content in the guide. when they return to the menu, the last visited slide become the last page they view in the guide.... hence they can not exit the guide and return to the course unless we assign a button to go to a particular slide in the course content...

Here comes the question:

Is there any possible way to condition  the system variable, cpInfoLastVisitedSlid, not to remember slide it visited in the navigation guide, and only remember the slides from the course session?

Thank you for your patience to finish reading my long question...

and thanks to Lilybiri and RodWard answered my question about How to create user variables to track question slides?

for the unknown reason that I can't login to my previous account anymore.... but I really want to say you guys give me a big help.

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

The cpInfoLastVisitedSlide system variable is read-only and you cannot change its value using advanced actions.

However, you might be able to achieve what you wanted by setting up your own variable and using the system variable value together with some cretive advanced actions.

First you need to work out all of the scenarios where your user would NOT want to jump to the very last literal slide visited, but to another slide. From your description it seems like these scenarios would all be connecte

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cpInfoLastVisitedSlide system variable is read-only and you cannot change its value using advanced actions.

However, you might be able to achieve what you wanted by setting up your own variable and using the system variable value together with some cretive advanced actions.

First you need to work out all of the scenarios where your user would NOT want to jump to the very last literal slide visited, but to another slide. From your description it seems like these scenarios would all be connected with the fact that your user had entered the group of slides explaining navigation. Correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Our user had entered the group of slides explaining navigatio.

but, I don't know how to set the user variable for group of slide.... and if I should I combine the user variable with the cpInfoLastVisitedSlide... (Since it is all slide number...)

What I have tried is that created a conditional advanced action...

if

rdinfoCurrentSlide > the second slide of the navigation guide

rdinfoCurrentSlide < the last slide of the navigaiton guide

action

expression cpInfoLastVisitedSlide system = cpInfoLastVisitedSlide system - rdinfoCurrentSlide

else

return to last visited slide

It doesnt work the way i want at all...

My probolem is to structure the logic relationship between these variable, and also how to create a user variable for a group of slide......

thank you .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Rod already told you, it is not possible to change the system variable cpInfoLastVisitedSlide, this is a read-only variable. Your advanced action has no effect for that reason, because you try to assign a new value to that system variable with the Expression statement.

I try to understand, from your advanced action what you want to do:

1. If the user was previously on a content slide somewhere (not in the menu slides), and is now on a navigation slide, you want the Back button to return to that content slide
  2. If the user is currently on a content slide, you want the Back button to have its normal functionality, where you can use the var cpInfoLastVisitedSlide

Is that correct? And this has to be triggered by the Back button? If you confirm what I detected, will try to figure out a scenario that doesn't need too much work. Because my intuition tells me you will have to populate a user variable on each content slide to store its slide number. This can be done by a simple Assign action on each slide Enter event, but I have to know if you already use that event for an advanced action? Then the Back button could check this variable.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Lilibiri, Sorry for the poor explanation. This is what I would like to achieve:

Any Content Slide (with Navigation Guide Button) goes to Navigation Guide ( the menu slide of Navigation Guide)

Only the Menu Slide of Navigation Guide would be able to return to Content Slide.

1. Each Content Slide has 3 buttons: Back (go back to previous slide), Next( goes to the next slide), Navigation guide buttons (goes to the navigation menu)
  2. On the menu of the navigation Guide, there are 3 navigation section, and 1 Back button.
  3. The Back button needs to be able to return to the last visited slides that is outsides the navigation slides.
  4. The navigation Slides and the Content Slides are in the same project.

I have understood that I am not about to change the system valuables...but is there a way that I can create a variable based on the cpInfoLastVisitedSlide variable which the new variable could display the sequece of history of the last visited slides?...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a solution I need.

That is making each navigation section a clickable swf,

and use advanced action to show and hide the movie.

Although I am still looking for a way to achieve with just standard slides, but I guess I couldn't figure it out...

so thank you guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I'm a little confused on what applepietasty is wanting to achieve after your response. But what you described is exactly what I want to do. Could you help me understand how to accomplish that in more detail? I am not using any action on slide entry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will lock this OLD thread. Please, start a new thread if you are looking for help, this one is from 2012....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources