• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Access SVG object with JavaScript

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to add custom behavior to SVG images in my Captivate project though JavaScript code. However, it seems like the SVG object is not loaded when the JavaScript code attempts to access it. The object is listed in the innerhtml parameter of the surrounding div (SVG_1c contains SVG_1c_object), but this element comes back empty or null no matter how I try to access it.

var mySVG = document.getElementById("SVG_1c");
console.log(mySVG.innerHTML);
^This returns an empty string.

var mySVG = document.getElementById("SVG_1c_object");
console.log(mySVG);
^This returns null (undefined).

Is there a way to access this object in HTML, perhaps by waiting for the image to be loaded before running the rest of the script?
TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Try wrapping your code in a setTimeout or setInterval to wait for the svg to be rendered. It should be there in 100ms or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of custome behavior are we talking about?

I was successful with both of these options...

This one changed the state to be a different color.

cp.changeState("SVG_1","on");

This one caused the SVG to fade out.

$("#SVG_1c").fadeOut(500);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To answer your first question, I am attempting to get around a boundingbox issue. I have multiple irregularly shaped SVGs in the same area that I use as buttons. However, their bounding boxes regularly overlap. I intended to apply CSS code like this in order to ignore the bounding boxes of the SVGs: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/pointer-events

Though the answer by TLCMediaDesign below helped me access the SVG very directly, sadly I have still not found a workaround for this overlapping bounding box issue.

Your code also works to access aspects of the SVG object, and I think they should come in use too. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try wrapping your code in a setTimeout or setInterval to wait for the svg to be rendered. It should be there in 100ms or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly! I currently have a piece of code like this and it functions exactly as I hoped:

setTimeout(function(){
   var mySVG = document.getElementById("SVG_1c_object").contentDocument.children[0].children[0]; //g
   //More code of course
}, 100);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources