• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accessibility Feature Disrupts Links and Auto Advances Slides

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating eLearning courses with Captivate 2019 utilizing accessibility features. The problem is the use of a glossary button on each slide to link to a slide with a glossary widget.

Background: Captivate 2019. Each slide has a Glossary button on the bottom set to Action = Jump to slide / 58 Glossary, Infinite attempts, Allow Mouse Click, Shortcut = Enter. All slides are set to 3 seconds. Besides captions and graphics, each slide also contains a click box set to Go to next slide, 2 attempts, Last Attempt = Continue, Shortcut = Enter, Pause project until user clicks. This click box ensures there is no auto advancement to the next slide.

Glossary slide utilizes Glossary widget. Slide contains two buttons: Return to Previous Slide and Continue to Next Slide. Return to…  is set to Go to the slide last visited, 2 attempts, Last Attempt = Continue, Allow Mouse Click, Shortcut = Enter. Continue is the same except it is set to Go to Next Slide. Also on the slide is a click box set to Go to next slide, 2 attempts, Last Attempt = Continue, Shortcut = Enter, Pause project until user clicks. This click box ensures there is no auto advancement to the next slide.

When I CLICK the glossary button on my text slides, the course works as intended. That is, it displays the Glossary slide and pauses until I click the Return to… or Continue to Next… buttons. At that point, the action for the button I click is successful.

When I use my accessibility, things go sideways. I click TAB on my text slide until the Glossary button is highlighted, I then press Enter and instead of jumping to the Glossary slide and pausing, it “blinks” on the Glossary slide and immediately jumps to the next slide in the course after the Glossary slide.

As mentioned, this ONLY occurs if I use the Tab key as part of my accessibility setup. If I use the mouse and click, everything works as designed.

By the way, I thought maybe the widget was the problem and redirected the Glossary button link to a blank slide with only the Return to… and Continue to… buttons. Again, a click worked just fine and the system advanced to the blank slide and paused waiting on me to click Return or Continue. But when I used Tab and Entered on the Glossary button, it advanced to the blank slide and then immediately to the slide after it.

What am I missing here?

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm now leaning toward this being an accessibility flaw in Captivate 2019. I created a new, blank file. Total of four slides. Slides one and two each contained a button to Jump to Slide 3. Slide 3 contained a button to return to last page visited and one to continue to next slide. Nothing else on the slides. If I CLICK buttons on one and two, it jumps to slide three; on three, each button works as intended (the return jumps me back to page one and the continue advances me to page 4). But if I TAB to the button on page one and press Enter, it jumps to three and immediately to four. This is a blank file with nothing else in it!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources