Highlighted

Accessing movie clips/button from Animate (html5) in Captivate

Participant ,
Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

New user of Captivate - trying to make my content 'scorm' compliant.

My content has been produced in Adobe Animate CC, using the canvas element (html5).

I would like to be able to interact with my various buttons and/or movie clips - but have them record some sort of detail to help with SCORM scoring. So far I have been able to create an 'Advanced Action' and console.log out the name of the html5 file that I have imported into my Captivate scene, but I have no been able to target any button click within the html file. I assume that's because of timeline restrictions.

So I'm thinking - maybe I could export from Animate with Captivate code as an AOM, and then import that into captivate?

I'm just throwing ideas out there, hoping that I might be right with one of them.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

This conversation has been locked.

Accessing movie clips/button from Animate (html5) in Captivate

Participant ,
Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

New user of Captivate - trying to make my content 'scorm' compliant.

My content has been produced in Adobe Animate CC, using the canvas element (html5).

I would like to be able to interact with my various buttons and/or movie clips - but have them record some sort of detail to help with SCORM scoring. So far I have been able to create an 'Advanced Action' and console.log out the name of the html5 file that I have imported into my Captivate scene, but I have no been able to target any button click within the html file. I assume that's because of timeline restrictions.

So I'm thinking - maybe I could export from Animate with Captivate code as an AOM, and then import that into captivate?

I'm just throwing ideas out there, hoping that I might be right with one of them.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animations (like OAM and animated GIF's) are not meant to be converted to scored objects, sorry. It would need a lot of scripting to make that possible, and I wouldn't even try to start doing that notwithstanding my long experience with Captivate and other Adobe apps.

Captivate is an eLearning authoring tool, it has all you need to create a SCORM-compliant course that can report to many LMS's. It looks to me very strange to develop in an animaton application instead of in Captivate? Please, take some  time to learn Captivate as you have learned Animate. . Have a look at:

Challenges for Starters - Captivate blog

All interactivity, and scoring is linked with ineractivity, has to do with Captivate's TImeline:

Pausing Captivate's Timeline - Captivate blog

As for animations, Effects in Captivate allows you to create animatinos within the package. They are more limited than in Animate. What is the primary goal of Captivate: to develop eLearning which results in real 'learning'. For Animate the primary goal is to create animations or games, not eLearning. Same for Powerpoint: its goal is to create Presentations, not eLearning. Use the right tool for each purpose is one of my personal motos. You have nice roundtrippping with Photoshop and Audition in Captivate. With Illustrator is not so good, and with Animate it is even worse.

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Lilybiri

We create really nice looking, nice feeling animated and interactive learning modules using Adobe Animate as you couldn't really get the same functionality out of Captivate re: animating.

After some thorough research online, I can't confirm that you are 100% correct that making a script would be all that tedious. I'm about to leave this job for another one but i'm just trying to help out as I have created about 150 seperate modules on Animate for them. and I feel like linking an external javascript file to my captivate file which validates whether the score of clicked javascript buttons is some number is the best solution here.

Do we know any resources online for doing such?

Am I limited to Captivate 'quiz' objects in scoring? is that why I am having problems?

Translate

Translate

Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no free resources for achieving such inter-connectivity.  It requires somewhat advanced JavaScripting skills.  You would need to pay a programmer for his or her time to do it.

Translate

Translate

Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't feel like answering anymore, because the OP was really insulting. I tried to give the message that using the right tool for the right purpose is in my mind the best way. I do not use Illustrator for technical drawings but AutoCad. I don't use Powerpoint for eLearning, not Photoshop for vector drawings. My second message was that the collaboration between OAM's and Captivate is not as optimal as the collaboration for graphcial and audio assets with Photoshop and with Audition.

As usual, Captivate is  being judged by Aodbe Application Experts who do not know the app at all. I am sure you can create very nice animatinos and games in Animate CC. Whether the result is improving the learning efficiency is another question, because that depends a lot more on the pedgagocial skills than on the nice assets.

As Rod points out: to have OAM's and Captivate talking  to each other, to allow SCORM compliant courses is a totally different problem. And I was talking about that type of scripting in my previous answers.

You last sentence proves my previous comment, that I don't like Captivate being judged by users who don't know it. Look in the Advanced Interaction ppanel: all interactive objects can be scored, including the interactive Learning interactions and Drag&Drop. II use the boring old type of default questions very rarely in my courses, mostly only because they allow random questions linked to a pool. All other scored questions will be 'custom questions' built with standard objects. My blog has tons of examples. I don't have to worry about scripting, all scores will be transferred perfectly to a LMS if you understand how the quizzing system variables are functionng. Sometimes I need the help of the CpExtra widget developed by Rod's son, which is the most amazing widget ever developed for Captivate. KUDOS, Tristan, you spare me a lot of scritping time.

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily.

Well to be honest, I don't feel like having your sour mouth on my thread. The question of my post isn't asking you WHICH authoring tool to use, I am merely asking a javascript/OAM/animate/Captivate question. I didn't ask for your whole life story.

Anyway, you obviously lack in javascript knowledge, I don't really want someone with limited js knowledge helping me out here. So please take your sour tone away with you.

Thanks for your time.

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rod.

We don't mind paying - do you have anyone in mind?

Thanks

Translate

Translate

RodWard LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might have done...until your last post and the way you spoke to Lilybiri. 

But now I don't honestly feel like sending any of my programming friends over your way.  I might lose friends as a result.

I'll leave it to others to offer their services if they feel like it.

Translate

Translate

Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group