Highlighted

Add Highlight Box on Click Box Failure

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys!

Relearning the latest version of Captivate (2017) and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to adjust the failure action for a Click Box? There's a drop down for 'On Success' but only a check box under Display for 'Failure' which turns the failure caption on or off. I don't need different messages for the number of tries or anything complicated, I would just like a highlight box to appear in addition to the failure caption. Is there any (relatively) easy way to achieve that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Add Highlight Box on Click Box Failure

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys!

Relearning the latest version of Captivate (2017) and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to adjust the failure action for a Click Box? There's a drop down for 'On Success' but only a check box under Display for 'Failure' which turns the failure caption on or off. I don't need different messages for the number of tries or anything complicated, I would just like a highlight box to appear in addition to the failure caption. Is there any (relatively) easy way to achieve that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For any interactie object (and quiz/D&D slide) the Success event will always be available, but the Failure event, which is really a Last Attempt event is only available if the number of Attempts is finite. The default setting for Click Box is Infinite attempts, you'll not have a Last Attempt event in that case.

A Failure caption will always appear when the user fails to click on the click box. A Failure event occurs only when the last attempt was a failure.  This has always been the case in Captivate, is not new in the most recent version. If you have only one attempt it is easy to add the Highligh box with the Last Attempt action.

What you call a 'Failure caption' is probably a Failure Shape, unless you changed the settings in Preferences. This may be an easy solution: resize that shape so that it is looking like a highlight box, give it a stroke. You'll still be able to have text in that shape, it is just changing the style. If you set this as the default style for a Failure shape, you will only have to resize and move the shape on each slide where you want it.

ANother workflow could be to have only one attempt. Then you can use the Last Attempt action to show a highlight box along with the Failure message. If you want to offer another attempt, add the command to replay the slide. See Replay (slide) Button - Captivate blog

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha. I was hoping I didn't need to get into advanced scripts but it sounds like I would. In my scenario I do want both the Failure caption and the highlight box to display when the click box is missed but for the user to still need to eventually click correctly to proceed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you talking about advanced scripts? My first proposition was just about changing the style of the Failure message, no scripting at all. 

Replaying a slide can be done very simply by  "CpCmndGotoSlide = cpInfoCurrentSlide - 1"

I am really stumped that you talk about advanced scripts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to change the style of the Failure message to look like a highlight because I want both to be displayed, not to replace one with the other. I'm a novice so it sounds like I'm not using the correct terms for things. What you posted for replaying the slide looks like a script that would require advanced actions, that's all I meant.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Lilybiri LATEST
Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, but I gave you that one-line action that you can use to replay the slide. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group