• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add Multiple Incorrect Answer Captions to Knowledge Check

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Captivate 9 and I have a knowledge check question (ungraded, but mandatory to complete). There is an A B C option. The client wants the correct answer (A in this case) to display a caption with an explanation for why it was correct. He likewise wants the same thing for Incorrect Answer B with it's corresponding explanation and the same thing for Incorrect Answer C with it's corresponding explanation.  Is there a way to do this without branching?

Jason 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is a MCQ with one correct answer, you can use te Advanced Answer feature which is also avalable for KC slides. Maybe my comparison and tips for KC slides could help:

Knowledge Check Slides - tips - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, since it's ungraded.. I have an idea for you, why not just make it a normal slide rather than knowledge check.

You could set up the slide to look how it does now, using check boxes or radio buttons. To mimic the buttons you could use the images that are added to your published folder, and import them into your library directly. From there you could create a smartshape, with the inactive state and add a separate state for when it is visited or "checked". Once all of the questions and their buttons are set up, I would create a set of variables for each option choice, a, b, c.

To allow users to toggle in between, you'll need to set up advance actions for each set, for example:

If a user selects option A, set variable1 to true, while setting variable 2 and 3 to false. Selecting A should also set the smartshape button to its checked state, and set all others to unchecked.

From there you'll need to set up a submit button, which can be set to display a specific text caption when it's associated variable is true.

Do you think something like this can work for your situation? I could go into more detail if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often prefer custom quiz slides, like you describe, but you have to agree that they are a lot more work, even if you have shared ations and variables ready for use.

For this simple use case, as described by the OP, the default KC slides with Advanced Answer feature is a lot less work. Why complicate when it can be done in an easy way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

I wasn't aware of the advance answer options, learn something new every day. I was just explaining how I would do it off hand, but your response is a lot simpler to execute now that I've found that option. I guess I never noticed it because I always add knowledge check slides, rather than actual question slides.Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The blog post explains all the similarities and differences between KC slides and normal quiz slides.  Always amazing how users prefer to use very complicated workflows because they ignore what Captivate has built in as features. I am always eager to use the solution that will take less time, time is so valuable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does sound like it would work, but I am the limitation since I do not know how to add radio buttons or check boxes. I've started playing with variables and advanced actions, but I'm not "there" yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you preer the hard way instead of Advanced Answer captions, have a look at my blog. I have tons of se cases of custom questions. There is a checkboxes and a radio buttons interaction available whcih can be linked to variables. Here are some links

Widgets and Custom Questions - part 1 - Captivate blog

Widgets and Custom Questions - part 2 - Captivate blog

Widgets and Custom Questions - part 3 - Captivate blog

Custom Hotspot questions in Captivate 8 - Captivate blog

Custom Short Answer Question - Captivate blog

The former widgets are now labeled 'learning interactions' and are compatible with HTML output, but the workflow remains the same as described for widgets.

You will need a custom question if you have multiple correct answers, not with one correct answer.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I think that you should disregard my answer and go for what Lilybiri originally posted.

All you have to do is ensure that you're operating on a question slide rather than a KBQ slide. If you click on one of your answers and it looks like this you may have to recreate the slide as a question slide rather than a Knowledge Check (feel free to correct me anyone if there's another way to do this).

knowledgecheck.JPG

If when you click on an answer and it looks like this:

advanceanswer.JPG

You should be good to go. If you click on the show feedback message button, you should be able to add custom feedback for each individual response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Victoria, but I think you miss something! Since CP9 Captivate has officially Knowlledge Check slides. They use the same master slides and have pretty much the same features, including Advanced Answer options. I explained everything in that blog post:

Knowledge Check Slides - tips - Captivate blog

Why do you tell the OP that they should use a normal quiz slide, which is  not necessary! Please, do not confuse other users

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, I was looking at a recent project of mine in Captivate 17, thank you for explaining Lilybiri.

Sorry for any confusion wvnomad1974​, I was just trying to be helpful. Good luck on your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, you tried to help. It happens quite often that users offer solutions that were the only possible ones in older versions, because they ignore newly added features. KC slides were added in CP9, and have the same functionality in CP2017 (release 10). One of its advantages is that the possible score is never included in the total score, the quizzing system variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll try the Advanced Answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources