Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding closed captioning from audio not on slide but on objects

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community

I have finished many tutorials files in Captivate 2017 with audio attached to the speech bubbles and notes. The client asks for closed captions, which I never did. I left that to the last minute. Then I watched some tutorials on how to do it and ... I hope I am wrong: it is not possible to have CC from audio not in the slide... Tell me it's not true and I don't have to redo all my audio, adding them to the slides and deleting them from my objects...

TOPICS
Audio and video

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you know that only slide audio is really synchronzied to the slide timeline, which is not the case for Object audio, nor for audio started with the Play audio command, it is logical that CC which needs to be synchronized can only be done with slide audio.  Object audio starts when the object appears and cannot be paused by pausing the timeline. Similar for Play audio. 

I'm sorry to have to tell you this. You could try to add text containers which appear synchronized with the objects to which  you attached the audio. Using the CC features in Captivate is not possible.

Many think I am exaggerating about the lack of knowledge of Captivate's timeline, but this is again one of the consequences. Have a look at:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2018/06/pausing-timeline-audio-clips/

Complete overview of what I published about Timeline in:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/12/timeline-resources/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick reply. I found out in the meantime that I have to create a separate file anyway, since this is for Youtube. 

Indeed I don't know Captivate well enough, but it seemed plausible to sync whatever audio is on a lide, object or not to a text display. The designers probably didn't think it would be useful 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but you seem to misunderstand my explanation. I didn't say this should be possible because it would create a mess for the CC. It is perfectly possible to have object audio playing at the same moment as slide audio, how would the CC have to look in that case? It needs to be linked and synchronized with the slide timeline. Object audio can be played fully while that timeline is paused, how should you organize the CC in that case? Similar for 'Play Audio'. I strongly recommend you take some real basic training for Captivate because this is wat caused your problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Even after 8 or 16 hours of training, even advanced in some cases, we have surprises. It's hard to cover everything. CC was not even on my radar when I did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you want CC for accessibility purposes, if the audio is basically repeating what the on-screen speech bubbles display, you don't need additional closed captions, as it would be redundant. Exceptions would be if one medium (audio or visual) gives important information that is not in the other medium. Also, if a person requires the material be read to them, usually software, such as Jaws, would usually read the captions (speech bubbles), but it's not a bad idea to add the audio. 

Disclaimers: I'm based in the USA, so your country's laws may differ; I'm not an ADA lawyer.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah I know that we have text and audio reading text on the screen but the client insists to have a SRT file for robots or whatever. So I'm obliging. Canada-based. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources