Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding Closed Captioning to embedded videos in Captivate 2017

Participant ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I'm trying to work out the best way to add closed captioning to  my embedded videos in Captivate.  I've followed this online turorial Adobe Captivate - Adding Closed Captioning to Embedded Videos - YouTube but when i get to the point on clicked th Closed Captioning box nothing happens... see my screenshot below...

I understand the other option is to extract my transcript (.srt file) for my video from my You Tube Channel - is this easier to do?  If so how do I align it to my video in Captivate?

Many thanks

Kim

Captivate_Closed Captioning with Embedded video.JPG

TOPICS
Advanced , Audio and video

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Hi Kim,

Thanks for watching my video. My workflow and the software has changed somewhat since I made that video three years ago. From the window in your screenshot, you can play your video, add new lines of captions and repeat this process for each new line of captions. I do find that there is a lag in the video preview and the timing of the closed captions so you may wish to use the data from your SRT data as it will contain the time code for each caption.2018-05-09_11-24-12.png

Perhaps it's time for me to update that

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kim,

Thanks for watching my video. My workflow and the software has changed somewhat since I made that video three years ago. From the window in your screenshot, you can play your video, add new lines of captions and repeat this process for each new line of captions. I do find that there is a lag in the video preview and the timing of the closed captions so you may wish to use the data from your SRT data as it will contain the time code for each caption.2018-05-09_11-24-12.png

Perhaps it's time for me to update that video.

Paul

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  So, just to confirm i have to 'manually' copy the text into the CC boxes? There isn't any other magic way...

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's right. but you might be able to copy and paste it from your SRT file or your original storyboard as I often do. It's good to listen to the narration mind you. Sometimes voice talent will take certain liberties with the script.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Paul, I've got around 50 minutes of animated video in total - think it might take me a while!  Never mind thank you so much for getting back to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kim: Unfortunately Captivate does not allow the direct import of srt. files like SL - this is something on my Feature request for Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you David - yes I agree future ability would be very helpful 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can help to have that ability by logging a feature request to the developers. Here is the link:

Adobe Captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure will do 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's depressing that Captivate still doesn't support .srt files in Captivate 2019 (AFAIK).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul, I'm adding 'slide video' and 'modifying slide length to accommodate'. You mentioned a lag, well, I've found the same. Using the 'video timings' tool, my captions are hopelessly out of synch with the video. Have you found any consistency with the lag, or does it seem random to you? Obviously, it would be useful to have the audio trace on the timeline like you get with regular slides, and then you'd be able to simply align the markers with the start of each 'burst' of sound. I don't find tweaking the little yellow markers particularly accurate, either, though. I'm having a nightmare here: I've offered to add closed captions to a large e-learning project and it's looking like it's going to take me months, rather than the two days I quoted, expecting video closed captions to be similar to how you do it in Camtasia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just realised the markers on the timeline are numbered but the rows where you put the closed captions aren't.     😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources