• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding lines to diagram

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a diagram, let's call it a map of some roads.  I want to have a slide in Captivate that shows the road map, and then highlights different routes as the slide plays.

I tried Shapes, with long, thin rectangles overlaying the roads, grouped together, but I feel like there must be a better way.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit more details could help.  Is this a responsive or non-responsive project? What is the image format of the map? Why not use a vector graphics application like Illustrator to create SVGs for the routes and assemble them in a multistate object? Even in a rescalable project that could be the best approach.

Captivate has a line shape, but it can be quirky and lacks some functionality like rotation in the Options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can convert a smartshape to freeformm by right clicking on the smartshape and selecting Convert to freeform. THen right click again and select Redraw SmartShape. THen just click on the endges of the road to create a new smarshape just like you want.

Or like Lieve said, you can create graphics in another tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed you can use a freeform shape, but only if it is a closed shape. You can edit the existing points in the shape, convert them to rounded corners and edit the Bezier curves. But there is no way to add or delete points, you are limited to the existing points. And no way to have an open shape. First two shapes in the dialog box for shapes seem to be 'open' (line and freeform line). I already mentioned the first one and its limitations. The second one is the only shape which allows to add as many points as you want, but it is automatically converted to a closed shape. Even if you make the fill 0% transparent, and use only the stroke, it will be closed. Here is an example, where I never closed the path but it is closed automatically by Captivate:

OpenShape.PNG

This approach would be possible only for closed routes. For any other route it is useless. Sorry, have been pleading since CP6 (8 years ago) to have more functionality for shapes but gave up.  

For that reason I immediately recommended to use another vector graphics application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources