• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding multiple subtitles to a captivate file

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I created a captivate file with html5 output. the audio is in English and I need to enquire as to the possibility to add subtitles in multiple languages.

Does Captivate support this and how would I proceed?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can describe a workflow, but you'll not like it. It is not really meant to have that type of functionality, only English is important, as you can see everywhere...

Possible workflow: you cannot use the CC feature in this case, but need to create text containers on each slide which can be multi-state objects. You can have each language in one state. Based on a choice at the start of the course, you can have an advanced or shared action On Enter for each slide, to show the appropriate state.

If you are used to long slide with lot of sentences in the audio which need to be syncrhonized with those text containers it will be a very cumbersome and tiring process. Moreover, due to possible big differences in the spoken audio and the different language texts, it will rarely be perfect, lot of trial and error.

Personally I would prefer to have multiple files, each with their audio and using CC. I live in Belgium, we have a lot of subtitles in movies. It is a real art to have a proper translation, I am often laughing if I watch a movie which in a language which I master and look at the same time at the subtitles in Dutch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you,  it's not the answer I was hoping for indeed, but it clarified certain points for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources