• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Administrator Rights Required for Captivate 8?

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We currently have Captivate 8 and would like to install it on a new laptop. I am curious to know, is administrator rights required for Captivate 8 to work properly? From previous posts, it appears administrator rights is required for Captivate 8 not to crash.

Thank you for your time!

TOPICS
Installation and licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a very old version, are you sure it ic sompatible with the OS version of your new system?

If you don't run Captivate with 'Run as Administrator' some functionality could fail, but it is not the first cause of crashes. First find out about the compatibility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I checked compatibility - Captivate 8 can still run on Windows 10 machine. What functionalities would fail if I don't run Captivate 8 as administrator?

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe there is an exhaustive list of reasons why Adobe Captivate might crash because you don't have administrator rights, but here are a few reasons.

First, persons who work within organizations are given limited access to their hard drives for security purposes. Captivate wants to write to locations that, at first glance, are on your hard drive but are located on your organization's shared drives. It makes sense because if your laptop is damaged or stolen, your files remain on the company server. Because this network storage solution isn't as fast or persistent as a hard drive, this can cause Captivate problems, especially since files remain open while in use.

Another area that can be problematic is that Captivate wants to access system resources when recording software simulation or recording a video demo. When I worked in a corporate environment, I had endless troubles getting my screen demos recorded. I would get halfway and zap. Captivate would just shutdown.

Eventually, I convinced the powers that be that while corporate security was of paramount importance, so was the productivity of their eLearning designers. The IT department gave me administrator rights over my computer, and things just started working smoothly. I also set my storage location to a location that was physically on my hard drive and not the shared drive. I did this for my cache, publishing location, and working folder for Video Demo (you can find these settings in the preferences window). It will be an uphill battle convincing them to grant this access, but once you have it, it will be much more pleasant to use Adobe Captivate.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your advice Paul!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems not to be very consistent, some users have more issues than others. Recording is for sure a functionality to be touched, but also when saving custom items like workspaces, shapes, themes... already did see lot of problems mentioned in this forum. Sometimes also publishing issues. I always run as Administrator, never double-checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I will continue to use Run as Administrator then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources