• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Captivate: Issue publishing 360 slides to computer.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I publish my 360 slides project to the computer. I open my index.html file with Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge and Chrome however I am unable to view the 360 images, it shows everything else in the project however the 360 images are black (see attached image). The only time the 360 images worked was on Microsoft Edge Legacy which I am unable to get hold of. Any help would be truly appreciated. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To view 360 slides from Captivate you need to upload your published output to a web server or LMS.  Just trying to view the content locally without the web environment won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod, thank you for your response. On the previous version of Microsoft Edge (Legacy), i was able to publish to computer and send my colleauges the zip file and they can extract the file, and click on index.html and view the 360 photos perfectly? However since the new Edge has been released, this process doesnt work. I am unsure what you mean by Web server or LMS? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Essentially all I need to is share what I see in the preview, with my colleauges 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And additionally to Rod, is it working when you preview your project out of Captivate? That would confirm Rod's answer.

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes with the new edge, it works when I preview. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad. I can't tell you why that isn't working, but if you just want to share the file, I can give you an alternate workflow that also checks to see if your project works properly.  I use SCORMCloud. Go there and set up a free account. You can then zip your project (using the LMS tab in Captivate) and then upload the zip file to SCORMCloud. SCORMCloud allows you to launch the course and also create a link that you can email to your team/subject matter experts. Of course you can also copy the link and test it in Chrome, Edge, etc. prior to sending it to them. Now if you do this in Edge and it still doesn't show the images, something else is wrong. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SCORM Cloud is a standard LMS.  This means that it only works for SCOs. A SCO is a SCORM folder which is meant to transfer data to a LMS. It implicates that you have set up the Reporting under Quiz Preferences, even if you don't have a Quiz in the project.

You can try AWS for a normal webserver. Maybe you have already a webserver in your company? Just ask the IT people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I will give this a go. However I don't have a very comprehensive understanding of Adobe Captive, or even LMS & .html ? Will let you know if SCORMCloud works and go from there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chad, again,

there's so much to consider. When you are serious about being a (semi) professional web or elearning developer you should think about getting a web hosting contract with some Web Hosting Service Provider. Of course that involves costs and efforts. For example you would need a Domain name and the hosting service itself is almost never free of charge. Have a search for cheap web hosting in the country where you are. 

The advice RamonalSD is giving you (SCORMCloud) seems to me like overkill. That's an LMS (Learning Management System) which is good for testing, but only when you make your Captivate project ready for an LMS. This would involve to set up the Quiz Preferences in Captivate to Reporting. Then you would have to decide for which LMS (SCORM, xAPI, Moodle blah-di-blah). SCORMcloud would expect a kind of setup with an imsmanifest.xml and scormdriver.js which you would get when a Captivate project is published with Reporting activated and all the other then necessary bells and whistles. My feeling is that your VR project is just to show an interactive media example without being a fully fledged eLearning package. I might be wrong here, in that case SCORMcloud is your place. But otherwise I'm not even sure if you could host a package without the LMS manifest stuff on SCORMcloud.
The reason why you need a web server or LMS to present your project to others (your colleagues) is that a Captivate project utilizes Javascript to dynamically (at Runtime) access external media objects, like but not only your 360 background image. On a local file system (like when you doubleclick the index.html) this would mean to access files on the user's local file system. This is not allowed and browser have security restrictions in this regard. And this is good this way because even if your intentions are harmless this would be bad in case there are malicious purposes like placing unwanted ads or viruses and so on. What you say about MS Edge (Legacy) making no problem in opening the index.html speaks actually against this browser.

So, bottomline is to think about web hosting or maybe you know somebody (a friend) with a domain and hosting who would host your test project as a favour. Or SCORMcloud if you want all the LMS troubles.
kindly

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources