Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ADOBE DRAFT - Is it as good idea?

Participant ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have recently been looking at storyboarding for courses, so obviously Adobe Draft came up.

Has anyone used this succesfully? Ive looked at it but cant see how it would be any better than using a Word or PPT doc? Ive watched a few videos on it, but it seems to look great for really simple projects, but would be almost useless for anything above a Level 1 course design. How would you address; slide notes, audio/video instructions and development, programming notes, reviewer comments..? How would this application be better than a Word doc?

Can anyone help me understand how Adobe Draft would be useful? 

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there has been any development on the Adobe Draft app for years now.  It was released with great fanfare by Adobe, but didn't manage to capture the imagination of Captivate developers. 

The marketing video showed a (rather attractive) young lady sitting in a park designing her e-learning course.  Whoever came up with this marketing concept obviously didn't ask many Captivate developers where they usually develop ideas for their e-learning courses.  

Personally I think the Captivate Draft app might have been more useful if it allowed the Captivate developer to actually draw on the screen freehand rather than having to insert objects and arrange them.  When I am storyboarding, I sketch ideas very roughly. 

If the app were compatible with tablets that use a stylus or pencil (e.g. Apple Pencil on an iPad) and you could simply draw storyboards with it and type in any text underneath for notes, THEN I might see it as useful.  As it is right now, while the concept of having a compatible app for initial design phases wasn't bad, the implementation of it fell short of what actual designers would likely want to use.   Adobe tends to do that a lot.

Personally, I never found this app saved enough time to make it worth the trouble. I would much rather cart my laptop to park or coffee shop and use the PC to outline a course if I couldn't work in an office environment.  If I have to meet with a client about a new e-learning course they want, I would still choose the laptop to take with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used the app for several years but not as a storyboarding tool but instead as more of a content gathering tool. Where it was beneficial for me was captioning content into a single file that would open in Captivate. I would record audio notes about ideas, snap a photograph, and jot down notes when I was away from my computer. The significant part was that I could then open it up directly in Captivate, giving me access to all the items. As Rod mentioned, after several years of no development, it's appeal began to wain for me. It not longer can be found on my iPad. There was mention of a web-based app possibly coming out to replace it, but that never materialized.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources