Hi all, unfortunately this project never got finished but I learnt so much from doing it and was pleased with where it was heading that I wanted to share some of what had been developed. The idea was to create a game like module based in the fitting of a certain contact lens (with that in mind, please do bear in mind that the end user to this would have had opticial experience!). The outline of the game was designed to walk them through the fitting steps and how each action could effect the patient during the fitting of the lens, so there were multiple outcomes to each question which effected the score and the cut sequences used. I had previously built an animation for them and the idea was to utilize as much of the created content from that as well as create new content for the game.
Initially this was designed to be in flash and was to be purely used through a PC browser soI built a demo sample on that basis to show the client. Because it was flash, this allowed me to make great use of videos for cut sequences. I also used the basic multiple choice Q&A feature to make this is initial demo, a quick sample of this is below!
Then came the shocker that flash was being fazed out and now the client wanted this to be able to be accessed across multiple mobile devices - I felt ruined. Please bear in mind that I was learning all of this as i went, this was my first project in captivate!! Anyway, it quickly became apparent that what I had built was not optimized for mobile use, further more the video feature seemed laggy along with button response. So, after many many many hours of freaking out and experimenting, I managed to get this to work in a slightly watered down version. Instead of using video, I was switched to animated giffs that I carefully layered on screen and assembled in a timeline. This seemed to work well so I stuck with that method.
The next challenge was to get it to work across multiple devices - a seemingly impossible task but after much messing around, I got it to work!!!! I got it running on an iPad 1, Iphone 4 and a very basic galaxy tab. I wanted to pick old/low end devices to ensure that if they could handle it, newer versions of tablets and mobiles would easily handle it. A video of this running across those platforms is below.
Now the game was not finished and the versions I have shown above where the new version 2 as the client changed the format half way through the build.
I did progress much further with build 1 which is the demo video I have shown below. Please bear in mind this was not finished so there are a lot of 'holding' graphics in place whilst I finalized the design with the client in the area's being built.
I hope you like some of what was shown, an incredible amount of work went into it, i was trying to push captivate as much as I could, I essentially made my own Q&A segments, used drag and drop and any other feature i could to make this as interactive as possible.
That was pretty well done. How long did you take to produce these (including animations)?
Thank you for the feedback! The animations were part of an original animation I had built for them as a separate project away from that. This was done in after effects and illustrator so I was abe to take apart the original and create animated giffs in photoshop and after effects. These were a combination of looped giffs (for the blinking of eyes) and playonce giffs. The original animation it was from took a few months to develop. I then used that style to create the additional assets and scenes. As I mentioned, the client changed direction a few times with format and actual learning style. The original build had multiple outcomes and endings where the second version wad more a hold the hand approach. In terms of how long the builds took, this project was going on for at least a few months or more but then I had to build a lot of new artwork to go with it.