• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any ideas for creating a scorm-compliant eBook in Captivate 9?

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2016 Oct 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community,

I'm looking for a way to quickly and easily create SCORM-compliant, mobile-friendly eBook styled courses.  Clients with very limited budgets and a large amount of content often give us PDF manuals in A4 format and simply want them to be converted into something that is trackable via LMS and mobile-friendly.  They don't need us to redesign the docs.  

An eBook, or a mimicry of one, seems to be the way to go, but this is not SCORM-compliant, so then the idea is to SCORM wrap the eBook via Captivate somehow, and publish as HTML.  

One possibility is to convert the PDF pages to images and put each one on a slide, but the problem then is one of legibility - how to allow the end-user to zoom in and read the text on what is essentially a portrait oriented a4 page?

So, that's the challenge.  Does anybody have any wild ideas?

Is there a web object option for Captivate 9?  Is it HTML compatible?  Is it responsive?

By the way, I also tried the image zoom widget, but that seems to be Flash-based.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

It would be very tough to read a slide on a mobile device. Have you considered the text to speech options? There is little tonal inflection, and it may put the listener to sleep, but it is an option.

Cheers,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the text-to-speech suggest.  You're definitely thinking out of the box there!  Unfortunately, it's not really an option in the majority of cases like this.  Users still need the option to read.

I'm imagining two possibilities for the user experience.  First prize would be something that is fully responsive.  A second prize would be keeping the pages as a4, but the user has the ability to zoom in on the page as they would with a standard PDF doc, whether on PC or mobile.

Due to the high volumes, I'm also looking for the ability to do this at the click of a button, or with very little redesign work needed.  Maybe some copy and paste here and there.  I have Creative Cloud at my disposal too, so using various tools to convert the material into something that Captivate can wrap up is also a possibility.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the source material, you should try reformatting the content and printing a PDF at a mobile device screen resolution.

Also, if you can output to png images, rather than a PDF, you can drag those directly to the CP library and test your publication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BDuckWorks,

Thanks for the help.  I'd say majority of users will be on a PC, but as with everything these days, mobile-compatibility is a must-have.  Will resizing to a mobile resolution not be to the detriment of the PC user's experience?  In many cases we will have access to the source documents, but sometimes, that is not possible, so we might be stuck with an a4 page or image in that case.

I have tried keeping the resolution at a4 (and matching the slide resolution to that) and then bringing in png or svg versions of the various pages.  They display as you'd expect, but without being able to zoom in, they aren't legible, even on a large PC monitor.

Any other recommendations?  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul!

Were you able to find a solution for this?  I am looking to solve the same problem...  I appreciate any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not Paul, but what I usually do in such cases is to include the PDF in the course package, link to it through a 'Open URL or File' action, and have it open in a new window. Then in the course I have a check box with some text next to it like: 'I hereby confirm that I fully read and understood... yada yada yada'. This check box would be a scored Object and clicking it would pass the quiz. Setting the success/ completion criteria to 'Quiz Passed' reports completion to the LMS when the learner confirmes that he read the thing by ticking the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you Gaanf! I will give that a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources