Highlighted

Are buttons or object states available in Master Slides?

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team and I create courses with custom player controls. One of the time consuming development items we've faced is showing and hiding the Course Menu on over 20+ slides. Right now, we use Advanced Actions that have a toggle control to show and hide the Course Menus located on all the slides, and applying this Advanced Action on each slide. With edits made to courses regularly, editing that Advanced Action and applying it to new slides takes a lot of time. Is there a faster way to do this?

What I would LOVE to figure out is how to have the Course Menu sit on the Master Slide. When the User clicks the Course Menu button, the toggle will show the Course Menu on the Master Slide then hide the Course Menu on another click. I don't see any way of doing this, but there must be a way to do this either through JavaScript, a widget, or something.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Are buttons or object states available in Master Slides?

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team and I create courses with custom player controls. One of the time consuming development items we've faced is showing and hiding the Course Menu on over 20+ slides. Right now, we use Advanced Actions that have a toggle control to show and hide the Course Menus located on all the slides, and applying this Advanced Action on each slide. With edits made to courses regularly, editing that Advanced Action and applying it to new slides takes a lot of time. Is there a faster way to do this?

What I would LOVE to figure out is how to have the Course Menu sit on the Master Slide. When the User clicks the Course Menu button, the toggle will show the Course Menu on the Master Slide then hide the Course Menu on another click. I don't see any way of doing this, but there must be a way to do this either through JavaScript, a widget, or something.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 15, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot control objects on master slides because they do not have an ID.

Did you try this alternative?  Have all the buttons on the first slide, time them for the rest of the project (always on top) and group them.

Create your toggle button either on the main master slide, and have that advanced (I would prefer a shared) action triggering the group on the slides which will have an ID.

In both cases you can only use shape buttons of course. The old type of buttons cannot be used on master slides and cannot be timed for the rest of the project.

Only limitation: this is NOT possible in a responsive project with Fluid Boxes workflow.

You ask in the title about the States for the buttons? There was one version where InBuilt states didn't show for shape buttons on the master slide. I don't know which version you are using.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how I create a persistent table of contents menu of my own design. This was created with Cp9 but it would work for newer versions of Captivate as well.

Adobe Captivate 9 - Pop Out Custom Table of Contents - YouTube

Paul Wilson, CTDP | https://captivateteacher.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Lieve and Paul! I can't believe there's a function like that in Captivate and it seems that function has been there for a while. I've been the main Captivate expert in my last 3 positions, so it's pretty funny I didn't know this existed. Paul, your video was especially helpful- thanks for making it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2018 0
Lilybiri LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny or saddening? Shape buttons are in Captivate since more than 6 years, one of the most 'liberating' features IMO. I have been blogging multiple times about them, presented several webinars for Adobe about their use... you ignored them? Wondering how much innovations you have missed more: grouping, intelligent labeling, filtering in dropdown lists, SVG and OAM import, drag&drop, multistate objects, breakpoint views, fluid boxes, shared actions, themes instead of templates (also since version 6), new variables, new commands for simple and advanced/shared actions, Video Demo.... 

Sorry, but I really feel sad when I see so many developers use very old workflows (from CP4) where they could save so much time when taking advantage of the multiple new and more powerful features.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2018 0