• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Assign partial points to single answer, multiple choice?

Participant ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm setting up a quiz where each question has a bad, good, and best answer. I'd like to give partial points for the good answer, but it looks like that is only possible if you do the multiple answer option. Is there anyway I can assign points with advanced actions? I thought I could just increment the variable, but you can't when you select increment in the advanced actions builder.

Maybe create an independent variable and then add the two on the final slide for the final score? Looking for suggestions.

To be clear, the wrong answer gains 0 points and the correct answer will gain 20 points - that is already adjusted on my quiz slide. I'm wanting to assign 10 points to the 'good' answer.

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get this to work - in case any one else has this some question one day.

Created a variable to hold the points for the 'good' answer, (v_partialcredit). Then, created advanced action to increment that variable by 10 if the 'good' answer is selected. Selected the action in advanced answer options for that item. (used 1 advanced action for all 5 questions)

Created another variable (v_totalscore) to hold points scored + partial credit.

Then created an advanced action expression v_totalscore= v_partialcredit + cpQuizInfoPointsScored and applied it to the start of the results slide with v_totalscore inserted on the slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You solution will show up correctly on the custom score slide, but if you want to transfer the result to a LMS you will be stuck with the original Quizzing system variables which are indeed read only.

Restriction: this may be a solution in your case but certainly not a correct answer for the majority of users who want to see the score in the gradebook of the LMS.

I could offer you a better solution, but since this thread is marked correct, it has not much sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input and pointing out the score will not report to LMS in this solution.

I unmarked the answer as correct so feel free to chime in if you have another solution that would report to an LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easiest waywoudl be with a custom quiz slide. Midnight here, will try to write out a solution tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your output is HTML5, you could also use CpExtra functionality to achieve this type of partial scoring interaction.

See this HELP post:

Slide Object Properties | Infosemantics Pty Ltd

Please note that this post is not talking about quiz slides but about CUSTOM quiz slides where you are using interactive objects (e.g buttons or TEBs) to create a custom interaction.  For the objects that report a score to the quiz, the xcmndscore command variable in CpExtra is capable of altering that score.

Might be another option for you to consider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rod. I'll check it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CpExtra wouldhave been one of the three workflows I see for your use case. It could be the best way, because it is only one of the multiple features which can help to solve limitations with Captivate, avoiding to have to use JavaScript.

If you want me still to offer the other two solutions, will write out a blog to avoid that other 'experts' abuse of my ideas as happens offten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilibiri.

I think it would be a great blog post as I didn't see much online for this particular use case and using captivate for these non-traditional quiz options. It helps for people to know what is possible.

I absolutely appreciate those who share their knowledge with others, as I've learned 100% of what I know from playing around and reading or watching videos from others sharing their knowledge. I would never view sharing knowledge as someone else stealing ideas. We are all tackling the same beast and had to learn from somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was not talking about people using my workflows, but about 'experts' publishing videos/posts which clearly take over my workflows without paying any credit to their sources. In my mind that is stealing, and it happened a lot in the last couple of years.

When I learn something from another CP-user, and embed that in one of my articles, I will always mention how and why I learned that part, and the name of the user. That is just a normal way I believe. 

Getting an answer like 'this is just coincidence, had the same idea' is bit easy, why am I always the first to publish that idea? i  This is not about basic workflows, but about workarounds that need some creativity. Learned my lesson: never answer a question with an answer that took me some time to work out and double-check, just publish it as a post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources