• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

At my wits end! adobe captivate 2019 Swf compilation failed. Note: Please verify if any of the actionscript keywords is used as user variable name

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting this error code when I am trying to publish projects.  I am trying to publish in video format.  I have copied and pasted the slides into a blank project and received the same error. 

My computer was upgraded to Windows 10 and Captivate 2019.  I used to be on Captivate 8.  After the upgrade that is when all of this started.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something doesn't add up here.  SWF is not a video output.  You cannot publish to both SWF and Video (e.g. MP4) at the same time.

If SWF compilation is failing, the cause is usually some component on one of the slides. One way to locate the slide is to try hiding all slides in one half of the project and then attempting to publish?  If that works, hide the other half and see what happens.  If you can get something to publish at all, then use a process of elimination to locate the offending slide or slides.  Then start pulling objects off the slide that seems to be the culprit until you find the object that is causing all this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, when publishing a cptx project to video, at a certain moment a mention 'SWF to MP4 conversion' appears. I don't know the exact process, but couldn't this mean that it is essentially a SWF problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I see what you mean.  The publishing process is basically first publishing an SWF and then probably creating the video frames from the SWF frames.

Either way the same issue is going to recur if there is some corruption or issue on any of the slides.  If you cannot get the project to publish to SWF, then it's never going to get to MP4 after that.

I still think the way to debug this is to try hiding groups of slides and then again trying to publish to SWF to find out if you can publish without those slides being involved. 

The other thing I would do is NOT set my publish folder to be a ONE Drive folder.  Point to a normal folder somewhere on your C drive, preferably close to root level.  The publishing issue could be that you are publishing to a drive that is closely related to a cloud service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your eLearning course have question pools? If so, try renaming them to something very simple like pool1, pool2. It could be another item in your project but I was pulling my hair out for a week a number of years ago when I stumbled on this solution.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your responses.

I have a screenshot below to show you that it is indeed giving me this error when I try to publish a video.  It published in HTML5 it works.  Please see below screenshots of when I am publishing in Video format.

I have also tried copying and pasting all slides into a new project and it does the same.

Again, thank you for the suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this same issue. I got a new laptop yesterday and installed Captivate on it. Opened the same project I've been working on, made no changes and tried to generate a video. This worked yesterday on my old laptop with the exact same version of Captivate 2019 and Windows 10 and today, on my new laptop, it gives me the "Swf compilation failed..." issue. There is nothing wrong with the file because it worked on my old machine and haven't added any extraneous characters or anything.Captivate Error 2019-05-23_13h10_13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also opened a new file, put nothing in it and tried publishing a blank 1 slide project and got the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happen to me, too.  My project was publishing fine when SWF was selected and then I made some changes by importing a PPT which I know that PPT elements (images, animations, etc.) are converted to SWF so that was probably the trigger when I noticed I wasn't able to publish.  Did you fine any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, with the help of our IT department, we got this fixed. Looks like when the Adobe Captivate Cached Projects folder has OneDrive in its path (which it will be default with all new Windows 10 that uses OneDrive), OneDrive interferes with the Adobe Captivate Cached Projects folder path and gives the error listed above. It's not easy to change the folder path to NOT have OneDrive in it but we eventually (30 minutes wasted on this), got it changed to no OneDrive in the cache folder path. Then, no more errors when publishing a video.

Adobe should fix this issue to allow OneDrive in the path because that's what it would do for most Microsoft Windows 10 computers these days!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is strange. i have my cache folder also synchronized with OneDrive, work on two systems with Captivate but never had the problem you describe. Apparently there must be another cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I even created a NEW project and had 1 page and 1 graphic on it and nothing else. There was nothing in any of the projects I tried and they all worked on my other laptop. Changing the OneDrive path fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy that it is fixed for you. But I wanted to pop in because I never had to change that path, and I do use OneDrive as well. This means something else is important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the OneDrive path included some characters that Captivate found objectionable.  That's a reasonably common reason for that particular error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same drive text is in all my Articulate Storyline paths and they work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No guarantee be cause it works with one tool that it will work with another.  I just told you that for me I never had any issues with OneDrive which I use extensively on 3 systems.

Rod may be on the right track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the latest version of Captivate, same things has happened. It changed my Cache and Publish folders back to the original ones with OneDrive in them and it won't Preview or Publish again. Why does Captivate even use SWF anymore. So obsolete!!!! Can someone fix this? This tool is useless unless we can publish and preview. Having OneDrive in the path shouldn't matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to react to 'obsolete'.  From what I read and hear, many companies are using tons of SWF-based eLearning courses and/or are still using very olc Browser versions which barely support HTML5.

My Captivate folders are also on OneDrive but I don't have any Publish/Preview problem using 3 different PC's).  This proves that the tool is not useless to me.... question 'why' is it for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a simple solution to this problem?  Or at least a confirmed solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is usually caused by some corruption in the CPTX file.  It could be one or more slides corrupted, or just objects on a slide.  The solution involves using a process of elimination to narrow down which slide/s or objects are causing the issue.  Just take a copy of your CPTX to experiment with and start hiding groups of slides before trying to republish.  Hiding a slide means it does not end up in the published output.  In just a few minutes you should be able to locate where the corruption is and then either remove and rebuild the slide, or remove and replace the corrupted object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

I've tried narrowing down the slide, but am unable to publish video regardless.  I'm on Windows 10 and Captivate 2019.  I'm at the end of my rope and at deadline.  I need to this simple simulation published.  Any insight here would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the issue is simply that your PC does not have enough resources to publish this project to video.

To test this, does it allow you to publish to MP4 if you reduce the size of the project by hiding half of the slides?

How many slides are in this project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 14 slides, 12 are a recorded simulation with no audio and a new computer with 836GB or storage and 31.7GB or Ram, I don't thinkthat is issue 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read on a thread somewhere else the possibility that the Onedrive is in the file name; as my HD is synced, that it could be a problem.  Any truth to that?  Before I tap into internal IT for help, I'd like to be sure that it would be an actual fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should NEVER open a Captivate CPTX directly from a network drive.  Always download the CPTX to a local hard drive folder before opening in Captivate.  When publishing to MP4, are you also publishing directly to a local hard drive folder, NOT back to OneDrive or a network?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources