• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio fails to play

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In responsive design, the audio file fails to automatically play.  This glitch appears to be unique to my Mac. By toggling the mute button while in preview the audio then plays.  Once the mute button is toggled, the audio plays automatically in runtime as does all other audio files in the project. 

Projects that are already published and running on the LMS are exhibiting the same behavi or. I had Adobe support run the project in preview and they had no audio problem in simulation.  

I just installed Captivate 17 and am getting the same behavoir as with 9. I would guess there must be some setting on either the software or Mac that is causing the behavoir. Adobe support had no problem running the audio with Mac or PC.

I noticed the behavoir began about a week ago.  Before that all projects tested fine.  I have tried multiple published projects that were tested and working fine but now my machine is encountering this glitch.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-CJ

Solved, kind of: The problem is Safari.  When launching the preview in another browser the audio files launch correctly. Unable to resolve with Safari.  Might chat with Apple today. If a browser configuration or fix is found will post it here.

Thanks!

UpDate: Resolved Safari issue.  Preferences/Auto-Play/Allow All-Auto-Play

Do I get points for answering my own problem? 🙂

-CJ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your solution to turn on Auto-Play still working for you? I have always left this option selected when publishing.

I believe my issue is related to Safari's update to auto-play turned off by default. From research, Google is looking to also implement.

If Auto-play is turned on for me the audio will not start. If I turn off Auto-Play, hitting the Play icon will not start audio but play the course without the audio.

Captivate 2017 10.0.0.192

Safari 11

Mac OSX 10.11.6

Captivate said they are working on a fix but I am afraid it is going to take longer than my clients' patience are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact problem and have been scratching my head for ages

your solutions was the answer i needed

Safari Adobe plugin set all to autoplay

Thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install the patch to 10.0.1.285?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaah sorry.

I'm testing an existing SCORM-package on our LMS. And it was uploaded before the Chrome 66(6).¨

/Jacob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you watch it with a more recent version of Chrome? It is not the uploading moment that is important, but the present version of Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any resolution to this problem? The autoplay feature prevents audio from stating in Google Chrome after the most recent update. My published files will not play audio unless the navigation buttons are used when autoplay is checked. The published files are working in IE and Edge. The only resolution seem to uncheck autoplay, this is a problem for our client(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem.  I preview my project (cp2017) in Chrome, but audio does not work.  The audio works when previewedin  IE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a problem that CHrome has created, how can Captivate change the decision of the browser? What will happen with other browsers in the future? Remember: many mobile browsers already prevented AutoPlaty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good questions Lilybri,

I understand that the problem is with Google Chrome changing their features

preventing autoplay. Also, when autoplay is checked and mobile was used

previously, the launch button would show up in order start the module

manually. I think its pretty safe to state that a large majority of modules

pre-exist out there with the autoplay feature checked. Meaning it could

affect projects spanning over years of development. Adobe should be

figuring out a way to resolve or work with/around the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning I answered a similar question with a metaphor: you expect that a car (Captivate) driving on a dirt road (browser with AutoPlay impossible) converts that dirt road to a paved rroad? As I understand it (and have blogged about many workarounds) this is beyond the capabilities of an eLearning authoring tool to change the behavior of the browser. Moreover something similar happens with browsers not all displaying the published course exactly the same way, which was possible with SWF because there was a 'standard' player.

Pesronally I am much more concerned about all those SWF-based eLearning courses everywhere which may suddenly stop being functional when all browsers make the SWF plugin impossible. Compared with that, the iinconvenience of having a module not playing automatically seems minor problem. And what with companies stuck with very old browsers, not supporting HTML?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue with the Google Chrome browser not playing sound is explained fairly well in this article:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/google-chrome-blocks-autoplay/

Note that there is an updated Chrome browser that rolls back the change to autoplay, but this is only a temporary reprieve of the feature, not canning it altogether.  It's being rolled back to allow game developers (and I presume e-learning developers will also need to follow) to update their code so that when this 'feature' is re-introduced in the near future their content won't fail as it is currently doing.

So update to Google Chrome 66 if you want, but in October when Google Chrome 70 hits the market this autoplay blocking will be re-introduced.  It's NOT going to go away and it's time we got used to the way the new online world is working. Like it or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rod is correct. Chrome has pulled back their autoplay. Desktop Safari will still not play audio on the first slide but starts on the second slide. Captivate has no control over browsers. 

In my most recent version of Captivate, a disclaimer icon is displayed and links to the following web page:

Captivate responsive courses will not auto-play on browsers

"We recommend that you leave the Auto Play option disabled, since it does not get honored." - Per link

Like it or not. Gotta re-publish with Captivate's autoplay disabled. I am still concerned though because I previously attempted with Auto-play off and was still running into issues. I submitted my details to Captivate. Best I can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources