Highlighted

Audio, iPads, and slow connections

Contributor ,
Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been testing some of our lessons on an iPad using a bandwidth limiter to see how they perform on slower connections.

One thing I am consistency seeing is that audio becomes out of synch with the captivate timeline. It seems to delay the audio for 2-3 seconds before the audio plays. But the timeline begins to play during that delay. This throws off our carefully timed slides.

• All my audio is on the timeline for the slide, NOT and event audio attached to an object.
  • This is Captivate 2017 on a Mac, version 10.0.0.226
  • I do not see any lags on a fast connection on the iPads
  • I do not see any appreciable delay on my desktop computer, even when I have throttled its bandwidth down to the same amount.
  • I am throttling my bandwidth down to typical 3G connection speeds using Apple's Network Link Conditioner app.

I have put in some JS and I can see the current frame changing during those 2-3 seconds before the audio begins to play. I have also put in a smart shape and animated it from the beginning of the audio, I can clearly see it moving for a couple of seconds before I hear the audio.

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 3.46.12 PM.png

Any ideas what's going on, or a fix?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Audio, iPads, and slow connections

Contributor ,
Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been testing some of our lessons on an iPad using a bandwidth limiter to see how they perform on slower connections.

One thing I am consistency seeing is that audio becomes out of synch with the captivate timeline. It seems to delay the audio for 2-3 seconds before the audio plays. But the timeline begins to play during that delay. This throws off our carefully timed slides.

• All my audio is on the timeline for the slide, NOT and event audio attached to an object.
  • This is Captivate 2017 on a Mac, version 10.0.0.226
  • I do not see any lags on a fast connection on the iPads
  • I do not see any appreciable delay on my desktop computer, even when I have throttled its bandwidth down to the same amount.
  • I am throttling my bandwidth down to typical 3G connection speeds using Apple's Network Link Conditioner app.

I have put in some JS and I can see the current frame changing during those 2-3 seconds before the audio begins to play. I have also put in a smart shape and animated it from the beginning of the audio, I can clearly see it moving for a couple of seconds before I hear the audio.

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 3.46.12 PM.png

Any ideas what's going on, or a fix?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a pity that I cannot see the seconds on that timeline? How long is that slide.

A first recommnedation: never start an audio file on the first frame, always leave a gap before and after the audio on each slide. That recommendation can be found everywhere in the forum. Audio has to be loaded On Enter for each slide, contrary to graphical assets. Audio files can be pretty huge, depending on the length (which I cannot see).

AudioGap.png

Secondly, you didn't install the patch. The most recent version is 10.0.1.285.

Third tip may be not applicable: avoid long slides, which means long audio clips.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

I do have a gap of a couple of frames at the beginning and end of my audio on each frame.

A fun feature of Captivate on a Mac - the "ruler?" of the timeline will often go blank. There are times I cannot see the time, other times I cannot even see the tick marks. 

My slides average 30 seconds-ish. This one in particular is 22.7 seconds long.

I get that the audio is being loaded on each slideEnter, I just cannot figure out why, on an iPad, the player begins playing before the audio is ready...

Patch: Are you sure that patch is for Macs? I do not see any update notification when I select "Updates" under the help menu.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Lilybiri LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slides, frames.... bit of confusion but got it.

The patch is meant for Mac users as well, but it looks like you have some hotfixes installed. Somewhere I read that you have to roll back to the first release before installing the patch.

Playhead is continuing immediately indeed, but audio starts playing after it is fully loaded. You could try to Pause the slide On Enter, and use the Delay command for a couple of seconds, then add Continue.  I never tried it but could be a solution.

30 seconds doesn't seem too long. Sorry about that time ruler, I am a Win user, and it has been eons since I had that problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group