• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blank project custom size

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am attempting to create a blank project using Adobe Captivate (2019 release) with 4K resolution 3840x2160. But when I try to adjust the custom size the software defaults it to 3200x2160.

Vera5ECF_0-1615465286979.png

Any idea as to why that is and how to fix it? Also, what custom size would you recommend so that the output is 4K? I have a monitor with 3840x2160 reolution and another one with 2496x1664.

Thanks,

Vera

TOPICS
Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will all the learners who view your courses have a 4K screen and a very high bandwidth? 

Sorry for that rhetorical question but IMO you create an eLearning course for learners. It has to be deployed on a webserver or a LMS. Increasing the resolution of the course will lead to huge file size, without really contributing to the goal: learning. Many other aspects are much more important. Since a course needs a web browser or a LMS for which the UI will take up already pixels horizontally and vertically, the course will not be able to use the full screen neither.

Maybe you understand now the reason for the limitations to the resolution of a non-responsive course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri, thanks for your response. This project is not for an eLearning course. It's for a 5 minute software demo. I guess I raised the question because most video broadcasting platforms recommend a 6:9 ratio at 4K resolution, for the best user experience. I understand where you're coming from, that not everyone will have a 4K screen. But I believe that HD and lower resolution videos are becoming old fashioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not only the availability of 4K screens, but the effect on the file size. Especially if some users will look at it with a mobile device.  Even for a software demo, viewing in 4K or in HD will not make a big difference in the efficiency. If you want passive video, not real eLearning assets, you may look at another tool which has only focus on video capturing.

I think you meant 16:9 (not 6:9). Do you watch YouTube on your phone? Do you realize that the browser resolution is much lower than the real screen resolution?  I am typing on a laptop with a screen resolution of 3840x2160. But the browser resolution is 1707x960. Captivate output is viewed in a browser....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4K video certainly has a place, but it's not for the kind of content Captivate is designed to create.  

May I ask, since you have a 4K screen, at what display percentage in your OS do you run it?  I'll bet it's not set to 100% but more likely something like this:

4K_displayPercentage.png

And it's only set here to 150% on my own 4K monitor because it is a 36 inch screen.  When I recently used a 15.5 inch laptop with a 4K screen it had to be set to 250% otherwise the user interfaces of most software apps were unusable due to tiny buttons and menu items.

So, the bottom line here is that having a 4K screen is great when you are looking at content on a very large screen. But it your target audience is using smaller screens such as laptops or office-based systems, then they will be forced to use a display percentage that effectively makes the content look like it's 1080 HD anyway.  

That begs the question:  What's the point of creating 4K content if end users would see any difference between it and Full HD anyway?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure Rod, forgot to tell in my description of my laptop that my display resolution is set at 250%. It is a small screen, no place nor budget for a big screen here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources