• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bookmarking - how can we stop it when quiz starts

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do to customer demand, we need bookmarking in our courses but in Captivate it appears that bookmarking is also active when the learner is actively taking the final quiz but has to leave for some reason. With bookmarking on, when they return to the course they are taken back to the last page they are on which is OK unless that page is in the middle of a quiz. If it is, the learner has to resume through the quiz which they inevitably will fail because now there sum will only include the quiz question of the active session, not any quiz questions from the previous session. In our other course development tool, that is built strictly with Dreamweaver using  HTML5, CSS and JavaScript we are able to stop bookmarking once the user starts the quiz. We would like to do that in Captivate as well, rather than turning off bookmarking altogether and forcing the learner to restart the course. Does anyone have some ideas or solutions on how we can accomplish this in CP 2019?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since most LMS have the ability to contain more than one Adobe Captivate published project as modules within a course. I would recommend that you publish the course content as one module with bookmarking turned on, then publish the quiz as a second module with bookmarking turned off. This is the only way I can think of that would accomplish what you want.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...the learner has to resume through the quiz which they inevitably will fail because now there sum will only include the quiz question of the active session, not any quiz questions from the previous session."

Are you sure about this? Maybe different LMSs handle this in different ways, but ours - Cornerstone - retains the points scored during the first session when dropping off in the middle of a quiz, and then adds them to the ones scored after having resumed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Gaanf.  My understanding of the way Resume Data bookmarking is supposed to work is as he states.  The LMS retains enough data from the bookmarking to know which quiz questions have been answered so far in the session and what answers were given.

However, not all LMSs have good functionality in this area of bookmarking.  So it is quite possible that the original poster's LMS is one of those that doesn't retain all the information, leading to the error he describes.

I would suggest he upload the same module to SCORM Cloud and test the bookmarking there in that LMS.  Then if a difference in behaviour is noted, go back to the technical people in charge of your own LMS and start asking questions.  It may be that they haven't configured the course (or the LMS) to support Resume Data Bookmarking correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolutly certain. I will verify in SCORM cloud as well as Rod suggests when I get back from holidays.If it's working there I'll reach out to the LMS vendor (Skillsoft) and get back to this post with my results. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources