• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bookmarking

New Here ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Captivate 2017 project that will be loaded into an LMS (Sum Total).  Before starting the quiz, learners must indicate that they completed a prerequisite.  If they indicate that they did not, they exit the course.  If this occurs, I want bookmarking turned off so that the course starts at the beginning.  I did this successfully in the Preferences.  Is it possible to turn on bookmarking for the rest of the course?  Thanks! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

When you turn off bookmarking you do it for the entire CPTX project file.  But this may not necessarily be the entire course if you have multiple modules in the course that are each generated from a different CPTX.

So the first question is:  Does your course consist of multiple modules or is it all just one big CPTX.

The next question is:  Are you talking about Resume Data Bookmarking (used for SCORM projects) or Self-paced Learning Bookmarking (not related to LMS content)?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you turn off bookmarking you do it for the entire CPTX project file.  But this may not necessarily be the entire course if you have multiple modules in the course that are each generated from a different CPTX.

So the first question is:  Does your course consist of multiple modules or is it all just one big CPTX.

The next question is:  Are you talking about Resume Data Bookmarking (used for SCORM projects) or Self-paced Learning Bookmarking (not related to LMS content)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comments, Ron.  Yes, it is one Captivate project.  I am using Resume Data Bookmarking. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Well if it's one huge CPTX then your bookmarking will be either on or off for the entire project.

You're may be able to get closer to your goal by leaving Resume Data Bookmarking turned on and then use some JavaScript to wipe the data if you want bookmarking disabled.  But I would need to leave that to one of the JS experts on this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, if the LMS pertains Captivate user variable values between sessions (apparently not all do), this could also be achieved with a tracking variable and Advanced Actions:

• Keep Bookmarking on.
  • Create a user variable - say 'v_prereqMissing'; don't give it a default value.
  • When the user proactively indicates that he didn't complete the prerequisite, trigger an advanced action that will assign this variable a value of 1 and exit the course.
  • When the user declares that he completed the prerequisite, continue to the quiz without altering the variable.
  • On slide enter of slide 1, assign this variable the value 0 (or anything other than 1).
  • On slide enter of the slide where the learner declares if he completed the prerequisite or not, run a conditional advanced action: if v_prereqMissing == 1: Jump to Slide 1

This will re-route the learner to Slide 1 on relaunch, if he indicated in the previous session not to have completed the prerequisite.

If backward navigation is allowed from the slide where the learner makes his declaration, you might want to reset the variable to 0 on slide enter of the previous slide.

I use a similar approach to have a course (appear to) restart from slide 1 if the learner reached the last slide on the previous launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't know sum total, but in an LMS like Captivate Prime and even in Adobe Connect, I administer the prerequisite in the LMS not by having someone say they have done it in a Captivate file. Until the prerequisite course is completed, and tracked in the LMS, the Quiz would not be offered. You may want to rethink how you are using the prerequisites in your eLearning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources