• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Branching Quizzes

Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've finished creating a project, and I'm adding a quiz for each of the individual sections within it (3 in total). I'd like for the user to see how well they've done in each section, but there's only one score page in my project and it only comes up when the quiz has been completed.

The users need to complete all of the questions in order to continue, so it's not quite like the quiz branching described in the video on YouTube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-_Ja8vlZQw ). I would, however, like to have the score sheet pop up at the end of each section so that the users know how well they've done (or not!) right away.

Is this possible? I've included a screenshot of the navigation in case this helps! You can see the first few slides that run up to the second part of the quiz, as well as the slides themselves.

Thanks,

CCM

branching screenshot.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be done, using the Quizzing system variables and some advanced actions to do bit of maths. Should have blogged the solution, have answered this a couple of times, but waiting because there is an issue with Quizzing system variables if you use a Pretest. Do you?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Lilybiri.

I actually figured out a solution (or at least I hope I have!) seconds before you posted! All of the questions are "graded", and I have the final question in each section jumping to the (one and only - hurrah!) results slide, where the users can see their results for that particular set of questions. It just means that I now have to create another navigation slide to follow the results slide to allow users to get to the next appropriate section.

This workaround(?) seems much simpler than maths, which I definitely don't have the head for. I've done it for two of the three quiz sections and it's worked in all versions of the preview so far, so fingers crossed!

Cassie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what will the score slide show if the user has done two sections? The sum of both, did you check it? That is why I was talking about some maths, really simple ones, to keep each score in a separate user variable to show... If you are happy with always having the total of all what has been answered, of course your solution is the ideal one, but I must have misunderstood the question.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no, you're right! I just tried it again, and this time it said that I had failed the quiz because I had only answered one section! And I thought I was doing so well...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't know what my students are always saying: She is always right! They do overrate me a little bit.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is strange because it didn't do it earlier; both of the quiz sections were linked to the results slide, but I only completed one quiz and it told me I had passed. Huff.

NaN.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try to work out and post about a work flow, as simple as possible concerning maths. For each part you'll have to track the score and know the maximum possible score. Are all questions quoted the same way or are the scores different (default every question is on 10pts, I never keep it that way, but perhaps you do?)

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'm with you on the points. For this project, I've just got them at 1 point per question. These quizzes are more to give the users more interactivity with the material; we have larger exercises for them outside of Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they have all the same score, it could be a bit easier, but then the solution is limited to that situation. Will try to find an acceptable solution even if questions have different scores. And the passing percentage is the same for all parts?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the passing score is the same for everything (75%).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have worked out an example file, and will try to post the detailed explanation on my blog today. If you want to have the file, send me an email address by private message and I'll offer you the file. Forgot to ask which version you are using, because I created it in Captivate 6. There it can easily be converted to a template. It has three partial quizzes, each has an individual score slide with the Success/Failure messages popping up. There are some advanced actions, but  the most important of them can be reused for all question slides in one partial quiz, and not much editing needed for the adaption to another partial quiz. I left the default total score slide as well, although I would personally replace it also because it has issues with the font of the review message and the results themselves in the theme I used.

Lilybiri

PS: just published the blog post: http://lilybiri.posterous.com/intermediate-score-slides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources